Hi!

I'm trying to use the opencv bindings of Python.

I tried the following code:

from opencv.highgui import *
from opencv.cv import *
cam = 'cam'
cvNamedWindow(cam)
cap = cvCreateCameraCapture(0)
while cvWaitKey(1) != 27:
  img=cvQueryFrame(cap)
  cvShowImage(cam,img)

Although the window seems to open fine, I cannot see any image. I just get a window without any image -> as if there is no image stored in variable 'img'

On checking the 'img' variable (using cvSaveImage('test.jpg',img)), I found that the img file was ok (the stoed file was correct).

Any idea what is causing the problem?

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ratzian

Hi,

I'm new at opencv and python and I've got the same problem too.

If your opened window is a black screen just try to copy your captured frame to newly created image then show it.

If the screen is gray then I don't know the solution cause mine is gray :)

Ok I solved the problem, at least it worked well for me : )

The problem is in your loop condition where you said

change it to :

from opencv.cv import *

cam = 'cam'
cvNamedWindow(cam)

while 1:
  img=cvQueryFrame(cap)
  cvShowImage(cam,img)

Well, I don't know why it works like that . cvWaitKey doesn't work it has problems :/

Edited by mohoho: n/a

Ok I solved the problem, at least it worked well for me : )

The problem is in your loop condition where you said

change it to :

from opencv.cv import *

cam = 'cam'
cvNamedWindow(cam)

while 1:
  img=cvQueryFrame(cap)
  cvShowImage(cam,img)

Well, I don't know why it works like that . cvWaitKey doesn't work it has problems :/

I tried the code you suggested above. In my case, nothing shows up. Although the camera is on (I believe it is capturing images), I do not get any window (cvNamedWindow).

In case of cvWaitKey, the problem is that the whole process is terribly slow. When I waited for around five or six minutes, I got around three or four frames captured.

Anyone can help on this?

Thanks a lot!

opencv need this packages "build-essential, libgtk2.0-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libjpeg62-dev libtiff4-dev" do you have them?

The problem is, as far as I can work out (I am having the same issue)
is that

while(a != 27):
    a = highgui.cvWaitKey(1000)
    print type(a)

is telling me that the type of a if no key is pressed is <type 'long'> and if the key is pressed is <type 'str'>

ideally it is meant to be long, a problem because we can't compare strings with longs.

One method is to use ord() -- this returns the ascii value of the string, but first ignore the -1 default value

thus:

while ord(str(cvWaitKey(1))[0]) != 27:
  img=cvQueryFrame(cap)
  cvShowImage(cam,img)

you must use the [0] following the str() command, when you str(-1) it returns a string '-1' of length 2. This causes ord() to fail.

A horribly cluncky work-around IMHO.

P.S. unless you exlude a = -1 when converting to string, you cannot use this to capture '-'...

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.