This is my first java code so needless to say I don't know a lot about this. I think I have it all coded correctly but I don't know how to test to verify that it works. The assignment (found here) wants us to actually send a message once we're finished.

So, what do I do to test it? Please be specific cause I'm lost.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Wow, was hoping for some kind of response by now. Don't know if this is basic information but can't someone help.

I have my mail client all working so I'm not looking for coding advice, I just need some help connecting it to the local mail server so that I can attempt to send something.

Because you linked us to an entire document instead of summarizing what you're trying to do and why you're having trouble. Anyway, I looked through it for you, all you should need to do once you're finished is send an email to your school email address. If it eventually gets there your project worked. If not your project probably doesn't work. .

Oh, and your teacher gave you the list of SMTP reply codes for a reason. Once you successfully send a message to the server, it is going to send you back a certain reply code. Therefore, if you get back this reply code, you have successfully sent a message to the server.

Example of the SMTP Procedure

This SMTP example shows mail sent by Smith at host Alpha.ARPA,
to Jones, Green, and Brown at host Beta.ARPA. Here we assume
that host Alpha contacts host Beta directly.

S: MAIL FROM:<Smith@Alpha.ARPA>
R: 250 OK

S: RCPT TO:<Jones@Beta.ARPA>

S: RCPT TO:<Green@Beta.ARPA>
R: 550 No such user here

S: RCPT TO:<Brown@Beta.ARPA>

S: DATA
R: 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
S: Blah blah blah...
S: ...etc. etc. etc.
S: <CRLF>.<CRLF>

The mail has now been accepted for Jones and Brown. Green did
not have a mailbox at host Beta.

Reading this should clarify how the reply codes work, which will help you debug your project.
http://james.apache.org/server/rfclist/smtp/rfc0821.txt

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.