Hi,
I know this is compiler thing but I just wanted to know if anyone here have ever been succesful in compiling libvorbis/libogg with MINGW. It's weeks now I cant do it!

I have tried with MSYS but nope i cant get far. I wonder why these developer consider only MSVC stuffs but are not in favor of GCC in windows :(

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi,
I know this is compiler thing but I just wanted to know if anyone here have ever been succesful in compiling libvorbis/libogg with MINGW. It's weeks now I cant do it!

I have tried with MSYS but nope i cant get far. I wonder why these developer consider only MSVC stuffs but are not in favor of GCC in windows :(

The only time I ever had to compile the vorbis/ogg libraries on Windows, (back in my first job!) I was using Visual studio, so I've never tried it with mingw. But I've managed to build it in *nix using gcc though (only while tinkering, nothing serious!).

Anyway, if it compiles in *nix with gcc, then there should be a way of compiling it in windows with mingw....Or at least I would have thought so!

What sort of errors are you getting??
Note: I've not used mingw for a long while and my last windows machine here at home died a few weeks ago and I don't plan to re-install windows when I eventually fix it either**. So I'm not sure if I'll be of much use, but I'll see what I can do to help!

Even if I can't help; if you post your errors, somebody else here who uses mingw might be able to help.
Cheers for now,
Jas.

** I'm planning on replacing the hard-drive and then installing *nix...I've had enough of Windows! Plus XP's shelf life has just about expired, so it's likely to become a liability. And the specs are too low for vista or 7 anyway!

Thanks Jason
Errors i get are kinda cryptic. I tried and have ogg installed via msys. But even configure fails. Here is ./configure --with-ogg=/local/ --no-oggtest gives:

./configure: line 12230: syntax error near unexpected token `OGG,'
./configure: line 12230: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(OGG, ogg >= 1.0,
HAVE_OGG=yes, HAVE_OGG=no)'

I have downloaded pkg-config.exe and added to MINGWdir/bin but the error continues. I wonder what it is. Google gave nothing that helped me. I even tried this but with no avail. I wan't to compile libshout which needs libvorbis which in turn needs libvogg

Thanks for reply

>> But even configure fails.
This sounds too familiar to me .. I'd suggest that you try Cygwin instead of MSYS. I once failed to get GCC compiled on MSYS, but managed to get it done on Cygwin without too much of a hassle. On MSYS, the configure scripts simply kept failing, likely due to the way paths were handled. So, I ditched MSYS and haven't been missing it ever since.

>> But even configure fails.
This sounds too familiar to me .. I'd suggest that you try Cygwin instead of MSYS. I once failed to get GCC compiled on MSYS, but managed to get it done on Cygwin without too much of a hassle. On MSYS, the configure scripts simply kept failing, likely due to the way paths were handled. So, I ditched MSYS and haven't been missing it ever since.

Cygwin is not native and depends on cygwin1.dll
I passed and installed libvorbis and ogg by specfying.
ogg I did ./configure and make and make install but Libvorbis (aka headache?) have to be supplied with

--with-ogg-libraries=/usr/local/lib --with-ogg-includes=/usr/local/includes/ogg --disable-oggtest

It was pain to get compiled and now I fail to finish compiling libshout (It is the one that compelled me to compile the previous two). It gives me something I guess is compiler issue

.../include/stdint.h conflicting types for uint32_t

Well at least you're gradually getting there! You at least managed to build the vorbis/ogg libraries!

BTW: Sorry I didn't get more involved after my initial post...Had a few technical problems with our router over the weekend. Our cats were involved in an incident with it. Some fiddly soldering was required to fix it, which in turn meant hunting for my soldering iron and solder! Damn cats! Grrr..

I don't think it's a compiler problem per se. The error message says that there are conflicting definitions for the uint32_t type. So it's a problem with a couple of header files somewhere.

Can't say I've ever seen this sort of thing before.
Not entirely sure of the best way around it either....That's a bit of a showstopper isn't it!

You aren't alone though, it would seem that other people have been experiencing the same problems for some time. Here's something I found on this problem dated 2006:
http://lists.zerezo.com/mingw-users/msg02642.html

There's probably a way around it. We're just gonna have to do some digging to get to the bottom of it. I'm sure somebody's come up wtih a workaround if not a solution by now!

Cheers for now,
Jas.

Thank Jas!
I will have to. The problem is, error message isn't helpful as to where the problem lies

I don't know if this is of any use to you.
Claims to be a patch which allows libshout to be built with mingw.

Might be worth taking a look and having a go!

Cheers for now,
Jas.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.