Hi all,

I thought it would be quicker to design using NetBeans, but now I'm finding that it's more trouble to work with NetBeans automatically generated garbage 'code'.

Anyhow, I've tried to remove its automatically generated code for the frame's scrollbar but that just totally messes up the layout of the whole frame; it hasn't even created a jpanel or constructed the class in the usual way so I can't even create my own the scrollBar and add it to the panel in the usual fashion.

Could anyone please advise me on how to edit this garbage below to get the scroll bar working. Would really appreciate it as this is for my dissertation!!

The auto scroll bar code has been put in bold:

javax.swing.GroupLayout layout = new javax.swing.GroupLayout(getContentPane());
        getContentPane().setLayout(layout);
        layout.setHorizontalGroup(
            layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEADING)
            .addGroup(layout.createSequentialGroup()
                .addContainerGap(20, Short.MAX_VALUE)
                .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.TRAILING, false)
                    .addComponent(jScrollBar2, javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEADING, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, Short.MAX_VALUE)
                    .addGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEADING, layout.createSequentialGroup()
                        .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEADING)
                                .addComponent(cmdCalendar, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 108, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)
                                .addGap(324, 324, 324)
                                .addComponent(cmdPreviousWeek, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)
                                .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED)
                                .addComponent(jLabel11, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 75, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)
                                .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.UNRELATED)
                                .addComponent(jLabel12)
                                .addComponent(cmdNextWeek, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))
                                    .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.TRAILING)
                                            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.TRAILING)
                                                .addComponent(jLabel2)
                                                .addComponent(jLabel9)
                                                .addComponent(jLabel10))
                                            .addComponent(jLabel3)
                                            .addComponent(jLabel4)
                                            .addComponent(jLabel5)
                                            .addComponent(jLabel6))
                                        .addComponent(jLabel7))
                                    .addComponent(jLabel8))
                                .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED))
                               [B] .addComponent(jScrollPane1, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 1090, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))[/B]
//                              .addComponent(jScrollPane1.VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR_AS_NEEDED, jScrollPane1.HORIZONTAL_SCROLLBAR_AS_NEEDED))
                            .addComponent(jLabel1, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 146, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))
                        .addGap(18, 18, 18)
                        .addComponent(jScrollBar1, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))))
        );
        layout.setVerticalGroup(
            layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.LEADING)
                        .addContainerGap()
                        .addComponent(jLabel1, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 30, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)
                        .addPreferredGap(javax.swing.LayoutStyle.ComponentPlacement.RELATED, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, Short.MAX_VALUE)
                            .addGroup(layout.createParallelGroup(javax.swing.GroupLayout.Alignment.BASELINE)
                                .addComponent(jLabel11, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 31, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)
                                .addComponent(jLabel12))
                            .addComponent(cmdPreviousWeek, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)
                            .addComponent(cmdNextWeek, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)
                            .addComponent(cmdCalendar, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))
                                .addGap(54, 54, 54)
                                .addComponent(jLabel2)
                                .addGap(134, 134, 134)
                                .addComponent(jLabel3)
                                .addGap(140, 140, 140)
                                .addComponent(jLabel4)
                                .addGap(117, 117, 117)
                                .addComponent(jLabel5, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 41, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)
                                .addGap(126, 126, 126)
                                .addComponent(jLabel6)
                                .addGap(135, 135, 135)
                                .addComponent(jLabel7)
                                .addGap(137, 137, 137)
                                .addComponent(jLabel8)
                                .addGap(109, 109, 109)
                                .addComponent(jLabel9)
                                .addGap(132, 132, 132)
                                .addComponent(jLabel10))
                                .addGap(36, 36, 36)))
                                [B].addComponent(jScrollPane1, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 1350, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)))[/B]
                               //  .addComponent(jScrollPane1.VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR_AS_NEEDED, jScrollPane1.HORIZONTAL_SCROLLBAR_AS_NEEDED)))
                        .addGap(65, 65, 65))
                        .addComponent(jScrollBar1, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 1524, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE)
                        .addGap(9, 9, 9)))
                .addComponent(jScrollBar2, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.DEFAULT_SIZE, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))
        );

pack();
    }// </editor-fold>//GEN-END:initComponents

Thanks in advance,
Cleo123

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I don't think you can edit that. It is very difficult to do it and since it is auto generated you shouldn't. Better start over.

I prefer not to use the GUI builder because it does not allow to create dynamic gui components (a variable number of buttons during run time)
It is better to use it to align the components you want at the Frame and then write code that sets their properties.

Where did you wanted to add the scrollbar. For component such as this gui builders can be tricky. I use them only for textboxes or single buttons.

I don't think you can edit that. It is very difficult to do it and since it is auto generated you shouldn't. Better start over.

I prefer not to use the GUI builder because it does not allow to create dynamic gui components (a variable number of buttons during run time)
It is better to use it to align the components you want at the Frame and then write code that sets their properties.

Where did you wanted to add the scrollbar. For component such as this gui builders can be tricky. I use them only for textboxes or single buttons.

It would take me hours starting over, and I get fed up of setting the co-ordinates of where exactly each component should go, especially when I'm pedantic.

Without getting wrapped up in the huge amount of auto code I have posted, do you know how I would control only this line to work:

.addComponent(jScrollPane1, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE, 1090, javax.swing.GroupLayout.PREFERRED_SIZE))

For my other classes which I created without NetBeans I have simply used this line:

aFrame.add(new JScrollPane(aPanel, JScrollPane.VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR_ALWAYS, JScrollPane.HORIZONTAL_SCROLLBAR_AS_NEEDED));

And that works.

So do you think there is a way to maybe combine the syntax of the two different lines?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.