Hey guys,

i have this project that, when i compile, 11 of the header files cannot be opened. I have no clue why - i've never seen this type of error. The project is much to large to copy/paste here, but does anyone have an idea of what would cause this? They header files are not opened by anything else.

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Fbody

Are they in your include path?
On some platforms, the file names are case-sensitive. Do you have the capitalization and/or spelling correct?
Are the #includes in a conditional compilation block that isn't compiling under your current configuration?
Are they #included by a header that you have forgotten to #include in your main source file?

Edited by Fbody: n/a

first , i think u gotto check whether these header files are present in the path u have set or not .
Well usually there would be an include folder in ur compiler directory , where u can find various header files .
Otherwise , if those are self made files , then i guess u gotto ensure they r in same directory .

Are they in your include path?
On some platforms, the file names are case-sensitive. Do you have the capitalization and/or spelling correct?
Are the #includes in a conditional compilation block that isn't compiling under your current configuration?
Are they #included by a header that you have forgotten to #include in your main source file?

Yes
Yes
No
No

:(

Your compiler may have a verbose option (i.e. some switch), which would enable you to see where it is actually looking for the include files.

Edited by mitrmkar: actually

My build log - not sure that this helps.

Build Log

Build started: Project: jaus_v2, Configuration: Debug|Win32

Command Lines

Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\Debug\RSP00000149084768.rsp" with contents
[
/Od /I "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr" /D "_MBCS" /Gm /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /Fo"Debug\\" /Fd"Debug\vc90.pdb" /W3 /c /ZI /TP ".\jr\src\XmlConfig.cpp"

".\jr\src\TCPConnection.cpp"

".\jr\examples\C++\sender.cpp"

".\jr\src\JuniorRTE.cpp"

".\jr\src\JuniorMgr.cpp"

".\jr\src\JuniorAPI.cpp"

".\jr\src\JUDPTransport.cpp"

".\jr\src\JTCPTransport.cpp"

".\jr\src\JSerial.cpp"

".\jr\src\JrSockets.cpp"

".\jr\src\JrLogger.cpp"
]
Creating command line "cl.exe @"c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\Debug\RSP00000149084768.rsp" /nologo /errorReport:prompt"

Output Window

Compiling...
JrLogger.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\jrlogger.cpp(27) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'JrLogger.h': No such file or directory
JrSockets.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\jrsockets.h(29) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Transport.h': No such file or directory
JSerial.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\jserial.h(29) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Transport.h': No such file or directory
JTCPTransport.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\jtcptransport.h(29) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Transport.h': No such file or directory
JUDPTransport.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\judptransport.h(29) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Transport.h': No such file or directory
JuniorAPI.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\juniorapi.cpp(26) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'JuniorAPI.h': No such file or directory
JuniorMgr.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\juniormgr.h(26) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Transport.h': No such file or directory
JuniorRTE.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\xmlconfig.h(33) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ConfigData.h': No such file or directory
sender.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\examples\c++\sender.cpp(25) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'JuniorAPI.h': No such file or directory
TCPConnection.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\tcpconnection.h(29) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Transport.h': No such file or directory
XmlConfig.cpp
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\xmlconfig.h(33) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ConfigData.h': No such file or directory
Generating Code...

Results

Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
jaus_v2 - 11 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Based on your build log, there are only 4 headers that it can't find:
JrLogger.h
Transport.h
JuniorAPI.h
ConfigData.h

The errant files that reference them are found in a couple different directories. Have you properly specified the paths in your #include statements?

Which include path is correct for which file?

c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\src\

or

c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\jaus_v2\jaus_v2\jr\examples\c++\

If neither, what are the actual paths? Make sure you have them correct in your #include statements.

Did you use angle brackets ( '<>' ) or double-quotes ( " " ) for the #include filenames? I'm not sure on the specifics, but I know that it changes the way the compiler looks for the #included files. Try changing the characters used.

Edited by Fbody: n/a

Thanks for the advice - I'll try changing them from #include ".." to <...>. Also, I've setup a few different directories in my project properties include paths - I'm not including the path in my #include

e.g.

#include "JrLogger.h"

Edited by Duki: n/a

The quoted version is the broadest searching, that would be your better option. You might consider changing it to something more like this though.

#include "file-path/JrLogger.h"
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.