This is a small program that is suppose to find out the sum of even numbers entered into an array.... but everything works fine without errors but the output am getting is a negative number.... -1717986920.

#include <iostream.h>
void main()
{
	int sum=0;
	int i, a[6];
	int range;
	cout<<"Enter a range"<<endl;
	cin>>range;
	cout<<"Enter some numbers"<<endl;
	for(i=0;i<range; i++)
	{
		cin>>a[i];
	}
	if (a[i]%2==0)
	{
		sum=a[i];
		sum=sum+a[i];
		cout<<"Sum of even numbers="<<sum<<endl;
	}
}

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What's happening is that in your for loop, you're looping while i is less than range. In your loop, the i++ is executed at the end of every loop, so when you put in your numbers, the i variable is being incremented one more time. If you put in a range of 4 and 4 numbers, the i variable ends up being 4 after the for loop. When you try to access a[4], it's producing that number because it's filled with crap as there's no value assigned to it and it wasn't initialized to anything.

I can't understand why you have if outside of a loop.
You could write it like:

#include <iostream.h>
void main()
{
	int sum=0;
	int i, a[6];
	int range;
	cin>>range;
	for(i=0;i<range; i++)
	{
		cin>>a[i];
	}
	for (i=0;i<range;i++){
		if (a[i]%2==0)
		{
			sum+=a[i];
		}
	}
}

or maybe

#include <iostream.h>
void main()
{
	int sum=0;
	int i, a[6];
	int range;
	cin>>range;
	for(i=0;i<range; i++)
	{
		cin>>a[i];
		if (a[i]%2==0)
		{
			sum+=a[i];
		}
	}
}

You need to put your sum statements either inside your loop or inside another loop as mimis demonstrates. However, your use of the array is not good.

What happens if you enter a range of, for example, 10? Here's a hint, it's not good. You really should find a better way to do that whole user-controlled range thing. Without dynamic allocation and pointers, the best way would be with another loop and a series of validation statements.

You can also create the array a after the input of the range as

int a[range]

int a[range]

Not exactly. You'd need to use new if you're doing it that way.

int *a = new int[range];

int a[range]

It depends on the compiler. Most older compilers don't allow that, because the input is not a const value.

Some newer compilers that implement newer standards and certain language extensions will allow it. It's better to use new [] to ensure compatibility.

Thank you all for your replies

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.