Not really sure what a command line argument is, but here is an example question that I don't understand:

"Write a program that gets 4 integers as command-line arguments, prints the values and their total."

Can somebody show me how to do this? I have like 10 of these to do, but don't know where to begin.

Recommended Answers

Command line arguments you can access like normal list, just import sys and then access sys.argv, element 0 is the name of program, usually you process parameter is sys.argv[1:] part.

import sys
print 'Parameters are:'
for item in sys.argv: print item

You run command from command window …

Jump to Post

Yes, except it would concatenate the strings, instead of adding values. You must transform the aya.argv[1:4] arguments to integers or floats. also you can just leave out the 4 and accept any number of arguments. I do not know if you are required to react to wrong input, no parameters …

Jump to Post

All 6 Replies

Command line arguments you can access like normal list, just import sys and then access sys.argv, element 0 is the name of program, usually you process parameter is sys.argv[1:] part.

import sys
print 'Parameters are:'
for item in sys.argv: print item

You run command from command window with parameters:

D:\Python Projects\Tests>pyparams.py 1 2 3 4
Parameters are:
D:\Python Projects\Tests\pyparams.py

Thanks for your response, so would the answer look like this?

import sys
total = 0
for i in sys.argv[1:4]:
    total += sys.argv[i]

print sys.argv[1:],total

Yes, except it would concatenate the strings, instead of adding values. You must transform the aya.argv[1:4] arguments to integers or floats. also you can just leave out the 4 and accept any number of arguments. I do not know if you are required to react to wrong input, no parameters etc.

Nicer to also print like:

print '+'.join(sys.argv[1:],'=',total

How would you make it an int? I've tried eval() and int() but neither of them worked =\

It should work:

import sys
total = 0
for i in sys.argv[1:]:
    total += int(i)

print '+'.join(sys.argv[1:]),'=',total
D:\Tests>sum.py 1 2 3 4
1+2+3+4 = 10

use the getopt module. It's pretty frigging awesome

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, learning, and sharing knowledge.