I'm testing to get my python script to still run if the smtp server it uses went down. I have a local mail server im testing this with. The issue is when testing it, i get a large spew of text. It checks all its libraries and such, untill its get stuck at socket.py and the line says: raise error, msg.

The next line is: error: [Errno 111] Connection refused. Then after some location stuff, it says DeprecationWarning: BaseException has been deprecated as of Python 2.6. Then it has some more location stuff, and finishes with return apply(func, args)

Here is my function:

def email():
   global mssg
   session = smtplib.SMTP(smtpserver)
   if authrequired:
      session.login(smtpuser, smtpass)
   try:
      session.sendmail(SENDER, RECIPIENTS, mssg)
      session.quit()
   except:
      raise error
      logit('server down')
   return

Ive done some research and it seems i need to make a class in the script such as:

class MyError(Exception):
   def __init__ (self, value):
      self.value = value
   def __str__(self):
      return repr(self.value)

But im not sure if i have to swap anything here. For example, do i put 'error: [Errno 111] Connection refused' in the (Exception). Or if thats fine the way it is, how do i go about calling it in my function?

If you only want to catch the exception and let your code still run, you only need to write

import socket

def email():
   global mssg
   if authrequired:
      session.login(smtpuser, smtpass)
   try:
      session.sendmail(SENDER, RECIPIENTS, mssg)
      session.quit()
   except socket.error:
      logit('server down')

Don't write except: statements without targeting at least one specific exception class. It's much better to let unexpected errors propagate. When they occur, you can still add a new except statement if needed. An opaque except hides errors for future debugging sessions.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Gribouillis: n/a

Nah that didnt work, same issue occuring

If the issue is the deprecation warning, it's not an issue. It's only a warning.

Here's the full error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/user/reading.py", line 251, in <module>
  email()
File "/home/user/reading.py", line 124, in email
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 239, in __init__ 
  (code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 295, in connect
  self.sock = self._get_socket(host, port, self.timeout)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 273, in _get_socket
  return socket.create_connection((port, host), timeout)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/socket.py", line 514 in
create connection
     raise error, msg
error: [Errno 111] Connection refused
/home/user/Komodo-IDE-5/lib/support/dbgp/pythonlib/dbgp/pythonlib/dbgp/client.py
:1240: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been depracted
as of Python 2.6
   child = getattr(self.value, childStr)
/home/user/Komodo-IDE-5/lib/support/dbgp/pythonlib/dbgp/pythonlib/dbgp/client.py
:405: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been depracted
as of Python 2.6
   return apply(func, args

Edited 6 Years Ago by ryan461: n/a

If the issue is the deprecation warning, it's not an issue. It's only a warning.

Well the script is still ending in any event. and id like to prevent that if possible

It's not caught because the line session = smtplib.SMTP(smtpserver) is out of the try..except statement !

Edited 6 Years Ago by Gribouillis: n/a

It's not caught because the line session = smtplib.SMTP(smtpserver) is out of the try..except statement !

AH!

excellent. I had figured just the session.sendmail needed to be inside. Thx for the help

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.