PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTIONS, I AM NOT POSTING MY WHOLE HOMEWORK BUT ONLY THE QUESTIONS WHICH I AM NOT SURE ABOUT.

1)What command will set the permissions to 744 on the file /home/fred/.bash_logout
Choose one answer.
a. chmod a+r,g+r,o+r /home/fred/.bash_logout
b. chmod u+rwx g+r o+r /home/fred/.bash_logout
c. chmod u=rwx g=r o=r /home/fred/.bash_logout
d. chmod u=rwx,go+r /home/fred/.bash_logout
e. chmod u=rwx,g=r,o=r /home/fred/.bash_logout

2)True or False: The following if statement will evaluate to true.
val=`expr 15 + 3`
if [ $val -eq 18 ]
Choose one answer.
a. True
b. False

3)In your bash shell, which environment variable stores the prompt that your shell displays at the command line?
Choose one answer.
a. PROMPT
b. DISPLAY
c. PS1
d. SHELL
e. None of the above

4)what is run level 2 defined as for Fedora Linux?
Choose one answer.
a. single user mode plus networking
b. user definable system state
c. multi-user mode, with remote file sharing, processes, and daemons
d. None of the above

5)What does a router do?
Choose one answer.
a. matches information in the routing table with the data's destination IP address and broadcasts incoming data to all networks
b. matches information in the routing table with the data's destination IP address and sends incoming data to the correct network
c. matches information in the routing table with the data's destination IP address and holds the data until delivery is requested
d. matches information in the routing table with the data's source IP address and sends incoming data to the correct subnet
e. matches information in the routing table with the data's destination MAC address and broadcasts incoming data to all networks

6)True or False: The kernel is just like any other process and can be killed by root
Choose one answer.
a. True
b. False

You probably don't want to hear this; but your Linux distro will give you the answers to most of those questions... It's just a matter of knowing what to ask it, sort to speak...

I would say, for the chmod question, just man chmod and do some reading on it. And of course, don't just rely on man pages, since while they are usually quite extensive, that can't cover it all.

You should read up on the if statement, and also test it out in a script. I think you would find your answer quite easily by just making a very simple script with the example in the question in it, and see what it does...

Basically you can figure it all out yourself, and that's really the best way to learn anything.

Like I said, I know this probably isn't the answer you were hoping for, but it's for the best that you learn things on your own, and learn to do things by yourself.

That doesn't mean you can't ask for help though, that's what these kinda forums are for. Just don't expect us to do it for you. For example, I just gave you the info you need to figure it out yourself, rather than telling you the answers, because you would just forget as soon as this assignment was turned in, if you didn't do any work to learn it.

So anyway, good luck on your quiz, and happy scripting!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.