Hail! Wise and Glorious Gods of C Coding.

I have written a little function to search an array and it is cousing the program to hang after I enter the search criteria,It should should the array for a match and then return the whole string it was found in.

There is no error msg, and it compiles, I am using Dev-C. A pop-up juct comes and say's "the Program has stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution"

Would someone take a look and tell me where I have gone wrong and then give me a push in the right direction.

MyFunction

char find() { 

int ctr;
  char search[50];
  int found;
  printf("search for");
  fflush(stdin);
  scanf("%s",&search);
  for(ctr=0; ctr<50;ctr++);
  {
      if(search[ctr] == array[8][ctr])
      {
            found=1;
      }
   }
      printf("%s",found);
      printf("\n\n%s",array[8][ctr]);
      if(found){
            for(ctr=0; ctr<50;ctr++) {
                printf("%s",array[8][ctr]);
            }
      }
  }       

MyData
in
char array[8][50] /*I believe thats whats in there, when I print printf("\n\n%s",array[n]); from my main this is what I get */

Lord Dunsmore?is married to?Lady Emily 
Miss Secrest?called?the Inspector 
The gardener?is married to?the maid 
Poison?can be procured by?a blood relative 
Mr. Mason?visited?at 3:00 P.M.
Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Greg8202

>> if(search[ctr] == array[8][ctr])

lines 14 and 23: you are using the wrong index (8) into array. Valid index numbers are 0, 1. 2, ... 7. The number 8 is beyond the bounds of the array.

line 16: add break to stop the loop

Besides the index of 8 being out of bounds, you have hard coded the value 8 so even if you were to change it to 7 or another valid index it would only check one of the strings in your array. You need a for loop to go through all strings in your array.

The check that you are doing to set found=1 is only for a single character and not an entire string. The character also has to be at the exact same position for both strings. You should use the function strstr(array, search) instead.

Edited by Greg8202: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.