I know this gets asked a lot but i want to make a program that sends me some form of an alert at a certain time of day. I am using windows
1. i want it too run invisibly so no windows, doesn't show in task bar, or task manger
2. starts up automatically when you boot computer

so is this even possible? can it be done in c++? or is another language better. thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I know this gets asked a lot but i want to make a program that sends me some form of an alert at a certain time of day. I am using windows
1. i want it too run invisibly so no windows, doesn't show in task bar, or task manger
2. starts up automatically when you boot computer

so is this even possible? can it be done in c++? or is another language better. thanks!

I smell a keylogger. To answer your original question:

so is this even possible? can it be done in c++?

Yes this all can be done in C++ except the startup which is rather handled by your OS. Though there are workarounds.

I can asure you its not a keylogger. those a illegal right? anyways, how would it be done?

those a illegal right?

Not really if you do inform the end-term user about them.

how would it be done?

I recommend you look into ShowWindow() function

And deleting the program from Task Manager's list is rather a tricky affair you have 2 options: >snip< Sorry, but I think it is immoral to do so if not un-required. Why do you even need to hide it from the taskmanager?

Startup is achieved through registries.

I'll take my leave here, WC2010 is on. :)

P.S. Why PM me when you can post reply here. PM should be reserved for Private(Personal) Messages, don't you think?

okay thanks....the reason for hiding the task manger is so it wouldn't want it accidentally shut down by someone else. otherwise its not all that important.

i pm you so in case you didn't view this thread again you wouldn't think i was some criminal making key logger thats all.

i also want to make something that will run in background and send me a severe weather alert. we have some bad weather in my area and my house was destroyed ounce and such.......

any other ways or would this be the best and only way?

First tell me are you programming a GUI or Console app?

Console. does the showWindow only work on a gui?

No. ShowWindow() works on all windows. In your case you can use GetConsoleWindow() for the handle.

Will it show in the taskbar (i think thats what it is called)

nope.

Okay, how about running it on startup? How is that done?

Windows Registry. Google it.

thanks!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.