Any experiences here?!
Thanks,

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Are you asking for reviews? I don't own the book, but I am aware of its existance, and its outdated approach to teaching the language.

C++ primer plus is an old book which was "updated" after C++ was revamped and standardised; unfortunately, when C++ was reborn as a new language, this book was barely modified with a bunch of additional chapters tacked on to the end.

Back in its day, i'm sure this was a great book to learn C++ from, but these days its not worth wasting time or money with - thats not to say that the material is completely irrelevent, simply that other books have appeared in the past decade which are much, much better.

Have a look at the following reviews; all of these books are considered modern, and are written by people who understand the language, and the right way to teach it to beginners.
- "Accelerated C++": http://accu.org/index.php?module=bookrevie...ch&rid=1185
- "You Can Do It!": http://accu.org/index.php?module=bookrevie...rch&rid=470
- "C++ Primer 4th Ed": http://accu.org/index.php?module=bookrevie...rch&rid=778
- "Programming: Principles and Practice using C++": http://cplusplus-soup.com/2009/02/01/programming-principles-and-practice-using-c/

Yep, review based on practical experience...Btw most people are praising this book as the best one for start learning programming with c++, so I'm a bit confused(I'm a beginner :) )?!

"Most people" - presumably you're referring to the number of positive reviews on Amazon; Remember that the reviews are almost certainly all by people who are still in the early stages of learning, and aren't in a position to really be able to tell the difference between a genuinely good modern C++ book, and one which is simply out of date.

Depending on what your criteria is for a 'good book', they may be correct; but if you value your time, then alot of what you learn about programming from C++ primer plus will later have to be un-learned when you eventually graduate to using C++ properly - alternatively, you can start out learning it properly from day one, and have a much easier experience.

So by your judgement the best books for start learning c++ programming are the ones you mentioned above?

Accelerated C++ is the most recommended first book on C++ because it teaches C++ the way it will ultimately be used. All of the beginner books before it taught C with iostreams. ;)

Edward reviewed You Can Do It! and was a little disappointed. The most useful part of the book for a beginner would be the Q&A between the author and the student author, but those sections are kind of sparse.

C++ Primer is another classic.

Programming: Principles and Practice using C++ is still relatively new, and is rumored to be in dire need of a second edition to fix the errors. Ed is also generally wary of Bjarne Stroustrup's outlook on programming, but hasn't actually read the book yet.

Another recommendation would be Exploring C++ by Ray Lischner. Edward was pleasantly surprised, but it might not be ideal for someone who needs hand holding on the basics of programming.

Is it true that Bjarne is not recommended for beginners (The C++ Programming Language Special Edition). What is the difference between C++ Primer and Primer Plus? Which should I take after C++ from the ground up (3rd); except Accelerated C++?
Thx...

> Is it true that Bjarne is not recommended for beginners (The C++ Programming Language Special Edition).
Yes. Beginners *can* learn from it, but the book is better suited for programmers moving to C++ and C++ programmers looking for a reference. It's a good book, just not a good beginner's book. :)

> What is the difference between C++ Primer and Primer Plus?
More than "Plus". :D Those are two different books written by two different authors that happen to have similar names. You can find several books called Practical C++ too, all written by different authors and varying from good to awful.

> Which should I take after C++ from the ground up (3rd); except Accelerated C++?
Edward would actually recommend Exploring C++, or one of the many supplementary books like the ones by Scott Meyers, Nicolai Josuttis, or Herb Sutter.

Btw C++ from the ground is my current book...

Prata's book is about to come out in a revised 6th edition, which I have high hopes for. I used earlier editions of the book to teach C++ at the community college level and got a lot of positive feedback from students. Not sure what the complaints are about here except that the book doesn't cover c++0x features (which the 6th ed presumably will).

Unlike a couple of the above posters, I have to give a very strong thumbs down on the Lipman book "C++ Primer." It's almost as bad as the Deitel and Deitel books which are used only because the textbook publisher pushes them on college buyers really hard (kind of like the drug industry and doctors). Stay away from anything called "(name of language) How to Program."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.