Hi All,

I have experience with c, and familiarity with c++ & java (took courses on them, never really used)

I want to learn c# now.

I know c# is similar to Java. Time passed since my Java studies, so I guess I'll get the concepts fairly quickly, but I do need to refresh them (through the c# perspective this time).

I'd love to hear you recommendations for tutorials / books.

I'll say that at the moment I only want to get familiar with the language, understand what it is about, play with some features, do some very small projects.

Thanks guys

Gidi

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Can you tell what was good about this book?

I recommend this free book:

"What the C or C++ Programmer Needs to Know About C# and the .NET Framework"
http://www.charlespetzold.com/dotnet/index.html

Farooq,

Thank you. I've just noticed your post above which I missed before. By it's title this tutorial looks right to the point. I'll look at it later.

Gidi

I loved Expert's Voice Pro C# and the .NET 4.0 platform
Software Tailor has an expertise in many of the latest technologies, including Microsoft .Net based software application development (Smart-client, .NET 3.0/3.5 Technologies, Silverlight etc.) and Java based software application development (J2SE, J2EE and J2ME). All applications we developed featuring component-based, multi-tier architecture employing standard development blueprints. We also specialized in Java & .Net integration using the latest WSI standards.

I recommend this free book:

"What the C or C++ Programmer Needs to Know About C# and the .NET Framework"
http://www.charlespetzold.com/dotnet/index.html

Eventually I used the above tutorial.
( http://www.charlespetzold.com/dotnet/ )

I found it a good one.
It's not always methodically ideal. But much of the time it is, and it was very suitable to my needs.
- It covers the most important topics (and maybe also few which are not that important)
- It doesn't teach you programing, wasting your precious time. Only teaches dot net and c#
- It goes into OO basics, but does it in a focused way, implicitly assuming that you are familiar with them in some way. I could effectively skim when it said things I knew

Thanks Farooq

Gidi

I've been a programmer since 1979 ... I used em all; FORTRAN, COBOL, BASIC, and even LISP and Fourth. The mainstay of my career tho has been C and Delphi (PASCAL).

I have struggled with C# for quite sometime. While I want to learn it ... I haven't HAD TO so far ... so its learning curve (including .NET), heavy instantiation, and the fact its Microsoft ("our way or the highway") has made me walk away from it several times.

Two things have helped me a lot in picking up this language ...

Someone gave me a book called "Visual C# 2005 Demystified" by Jeff Kent ... and while reading that book and cross-referencing it to web articles I discovered DaniWeb.

For some reason, Kent's style of writing and explaining the language connected with me. I was able to sit down and read the book from cover to cover. I got enough out of it that I decided I would convert some of my old Delphi utility applications that I still use, to Visual C#.

And hands down the people here at DaniWeb rock! We all know there's a great deal of arrogance out there in the programming world, but I haven't seen it here, except once. The folks here care about the language, tolerate people learning the language, and it seems to be a community.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.