I've been trying to work on a personal project, in which the user enters in a text string in the first text box, and when the user clicks the "encrypt" button, the SHA1 hash of the text appears in the next text box. I've googled around for some information on this, and haven't found much for Windows Forms and SHA1, only MD5. I've checked a lot of things on MSDN but to no avail.

I already know how to create an MD5 Generator in Visual Basic, could anyone show me how I could go about creating one for SHA1? For Windows Form development of course, I have seen a few SHA1 Generators in Visual Basic but were console applications.

As I described earlier, the UI is quite simple, just 2 text boxes and a button. All help is greatly appreciated.

.NET Framework has System.Security.Cryptography Namespace. The namespace contains SHA1 and MD5 classes among other things. Using those classes requires only a few lines of code and you'll find code samples from MSDN or by googling.

HTH

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.