How do i create such a thing like a txt file where i can save usernames and passwords? but is protected that only certain users can access and edit the usernames and passwords?

Please help

I tried using a txtfile but i realized anyone can access it...is there anyway of storing protected information for my program? and how do i create a dialog to edit the information also.

So basically:
How do i store a password in a txtfile but where to user can't guess it?
How do i read the password i stored to check if user inputted correct information?

Your help is truly welcomed

Edited by smoothe19: n/a

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by NormR1

Look at encrypting and decrypting the password.
Look at using the javax.crypto package.

No idea how to use it. Best google for some samples

Not sure about using text file to store username + password if it is under Windows. Even Linux would not really support the way you are asking for. Encrypting is one, but it is not that safe if you have a physical file which can be accessed on the storage via other ways besides the application... Do you have any other option, such as using a database management (i.e. mysql, sqlite3, hypersonic, etc)? It would be much easier to deal with that way.

Yes I can use anyway but i am not sure how to use those databases could you lend a hand?

Edited by smoothe19: n/a

How secure do you want the password?
Protected From Casual looker or skilled programmer?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.