Hey, i have read "Accelerated C++" and i am "soon" done with "The C++ Standard Library".
I would like to learn about Windows Forms Applications or something similiar where i can start creating more useful programs. Can anyone recommend anything? Is it too early for me to jump to this?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Search amazon.com for the books. Is it too early? Not if you have understood those two books and successfully coded most of the problems at the end of the chapters. In that case you will probably have little problems understanding Windows Forms.

Understanding the problems in those books are alot easier then to find out what i should do next. I have trouble finding a book that uses C++ with WinForms. Its all C# and it doesnt seem very popular to write windows apps with C++. Anyone who can guide me abit? Im abit lost sorry:)

I have not read it, but I believe the Ivor Horton Visual C++ 20XX {05,08,10} covers some of the CLR-Winforms (in addition to MFC, I believe).

The winforms programming requires you to use an odd dialect of C++ (called C++/CLI) so I think a lot of people avoid it because it's clunky and it's painful to interact managed and unmanaged data.

M$'s evil plan is to have people use C++/CLI as a compatibility layer between C++ code and C# and do all the GUI programming in C#, or that's the way I understand it.

If you want to do your GUI programming in standard C++ you'd have to stick with either win32 API, MFC or a third party library like Qt or wxWidgets.

I have not read it, but I believe the Ivor Horton Visual C++ 20XX {05,08,10} covers some of the CLR-Winforms (in addition to MFC, I believe).

The winforms programming requires you to use an odd dialect of C++ (called C++/CLI) so I think a lot of people avoid it because it's clunky and it's painful to interact managed and unmanaged data.

M$'s evil plan is to have people use C++/CLI as a compatibility layer between C++ code and C# and do all the GUI programming in C#, or that's the way I understand it.

If you want to do your GUI programming in standard C++ you'd have to stick with either win32 API, MFC or a third party library like Qt or wxWidgets.

Thanks, i decided to start with An Introduction to Design Patterns in C++ with Qt 4, Microsofts solutions with C++ are to confusing for me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.