Hello every body,
I have a question, pls help me, thanx in advance.
I am searching the response of these two questions:
?If we need to have a framework for a bank (banking business)it is better we use .net technilogy or java?
(ehich one is preferable?)

Regards

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Depends on the environment. Do they have only Windows servers on which this might run (and I am not talking about the clients, I am talking about the servers). My guess would be no. They probably have a group of mainframes, AIX, Solaris, HP, etc machines, on which .Net won't run.

Depends on the environment. Do they have only Windows servers on which this might run (and I am not talking about the clients, I am talking about the servers). My guess would be no. They probably have a group of mainframes, AIX, Solaris, HP, etc machines, on which .Net won't run.

thank you for your reply, their server is Windows, but the database is oracle!

Oracle is no problem. .net is probably the best choice if, and only if, the environment is completely Windows, and will continue to be exclusively Windows. Although there are ways to run .net on (eg) Linux, it's not a good basis for a production environment If portability is, or may become, a requirement then Java is the way to go.

Although there are ways to run .net on (eg) Linux

Yes, .Net has a VM much like Java, which, theoretically means that it is also multi-platform. That, at the moment, is a complete and utter pipe-dream, however. There is a VM for Linux, but it is severely restricted (it is, essentially, only a demo/proof-of-concept item) and even in that form comes with license costs.

The problem is, there is a hefty, continuing, license cost to produce a .Net VM, and, the "functionality" that it is suppossed to be able to provide mirrors (unsurprisingly) Windows functionality. Which means, that producing a fully functional .Net VM on any other platform will involve all sorts of "workarounds" that are about guaranteed to come heavy performance costs, and probably still not be completely compatable.

Microsoft is also not producing any "free" .Net VMs for other platforms, so the problem of producing one, combined with the license costs of producing one, combined with the fact that Java already has one nearly everywhere, means that .Net will almost definately remain a Windows specific domain that "claims" to be platform independent.

thank you for your reply, their server is Windows, but the database is oracle!

Must be a pretty small bank.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.