Write a program that displays the table of Fahrenheit - Celsius temperatures.

Below is my code, the problem with it is that the celsius column is all zeros,please correct my mistake, thank you:

#include "stdafx.h"
#include "genlib.h"
#include "simpio.h"
#include "math.h"
int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
	 int i;
	 double c;
	 printf("Fahrenheit       Celsius\n");
	 for (i=0;i<=0;i+=20)
	 {
		  c=(5/9)*(i-32);
		  printf("%d                %f\n",i,c);
	 }
	 for (i=20;i<=80;i+=20)
	 {
		  c=(5/9)*(i-32);
		  printf("%d               %f\n",i,c);
	 }
	 for (i=100;i<=200;i+=20)
	 {    
		  c=(5/9)*(i-32);
		  printf("%d              %f\n",i,c);
	 }
}

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried using %g instead of %f, but it's still all zeros.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The output should appear as follows:

Fahrenheit       Celsius
0                -17.8 
20               -6.7
40               4.4 
60               15.6
80               26.7
100              37.8
120              48.9
140              60.0
160              71.1
180              82.2
200              93.3
Press any key to continue_

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The output that my program has:

Fahrenheit       Celsius
0                0
20               0
40               0 
60               0
80               0
100              0
120              0
140              0
160              0
180              0
200              0
Press any key to continue_

I tried using %g instead of %f, but it's still all zeros.

the problem with it is that the celsius column is all zeros,please correct my mistake, thank you

Edited 6 Years Ago by qqwushi12345: code

I'm not 100% sure why (5/9) is having problems displaying as a double but that is why you are getting a bunch of zeros.

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    float cel = 0;
	cout << setprecision(1) << fixed; //sets 1 decimal place (fixed makes it decimals instead of digits)
    cout << "Fahrenheit\tCelsius" << endl;
	for( int i = 0; i <= 200; i += 20 ) //not sure why you had a bunch of for loops when you can use 1
	{
		cel = (5.0/9.0)*double(i-32); //could cast 5 and 9 as doubles or just make them doubles like I did
		cout << i << "\t\t" << cel << endl;
	}
    return 0;
}

Edited 6 Years Ago by sfuo: saw you have more than one for loop to try to evenly space out the outputs

I believe that sfuo is correct that the problem is you lack of cast to a double

The reason that you had the original problem was that 5/9 is integer/integer. In
integer arithmetic you don't change type and an integer is returned: e.g 5/9 is
zero. Additionally 8/9 is zero, and 11/9 is one , as is 17/9. Hopefully, you get the idea.

You can quickly move something into double format e.g. (5.0/9.0), (the default for a decimal number even with a zero in the decimal place is double).

Any simple binary operation involving one double and one integer, the integer is upcast to a a double and a double is evaluated. e.g. 5/9.0 and 5.0/9 are both doubles. However, 8/6.0 - 4/3 is not zero [it is 0.3333] because the 4/3 is done before - and produces an integer (1). The upcast is only for each pair in the expression and the expression is reduced.

So you can re-write sfou's cel = (5.0/9.0)*double(i-32); as cel=5/9.0*(i-32); . That is because (i-32) returns an integer.
then 5/9.0 must be done BEFORE * (since divide take priority). so we are left
with (double)*(integer) and from the rules above we have an double.

There is one final problem on the matter. In C++, there are several floating point numbers , float, double, long double. Which depending on the compiler/platform are typically on a PC. 32bit, 64bit and 128bit, but can be different. [You can find out with sizeof(double) etc.] But this can lead to this kind of problem due to the inaccuracy of computational representation.

float a(5.0);
float b(9.0);  
std::cout<<"Near zero = "<<a/b-5.0/9.0<<std::endl;
std::cout<<"Zero =="<<a/b-5.0f/9.0f<<std::endl;

As you can see since 5/9 cannot be exactly represented in binary, this expression is type dependent.

Bit long I know, but I figures sfou and you might have wanted to know.

thank you very much. You guys seem to know way more than my online course instructor does.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.