hi could anyone please tell me in detail about the parameters to the main function argc and argv.please let me know as much as possible.

12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Rashakil Fol
int main(int argc, char *argv[])

You can name them whatever you want, but these are the normal names.

argc is non-negative. It gives the number of useful elements in argv.

If argc is positive, argv[0] contains the program name. Then argv[1] through argv[argc - 1] point to character arrays that contain the program's command line arguments.

For example, if I run a program at the command line, such as
unzip filename.zip,

argc will equal 2; and argv[0] will compare equal to "unzip"; and argv[1] will compare equal to "filename.zip".

When I open up a BASH shell and run perl -e 'print "Hello, world!\n"', perl gets an argc of 3, with argv[0] pointing to "perl", argv[1] pointing to "-e", and argv[2] pointing to the string containing

print "Hello, world!\n"

(to represent that string in C syntax, that would be "print \"Hello, world!\\n\"")

Different command line shells use different ways of quoting arguments -- most separate arguments by spaces, with either single or double quotes used to allow arguments with spaces, as seen in the perl example -- this is all invisible to the program, though. In Windows I'd have to write, perl -e "print \"Hello, world!\n\""

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.