Hi, I wonder if you can give me any advice how to learn Python.
My plan is to read python tutorial in documentation from begining to the end, and then to get some book (learning Python, or Python in a nutshell).

How long it will take (in average) to get comfortable with the language?
I have a solid knowleadge of C and C++ and I see in Python documentation many reference to C, maybe Python is written in C?

I'm really very new to this language and to interpreted language as well, so I don't really know what all thah means, but hope you'll help to learn.
Can you give me some example applications that can be done in Python easily and maybe to compare with code and time needed to write them in C++

Thank you very much for your help, I must say that I found this forum very useful.

- Micko

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

A good tutorial for beginners is at:
http://www.byteofpython.info/

Also read through the Starting Python "sticky" and the Python code snippets here on DaniWeb. Above everything, run the code and experiment with it! Change it a little at first and then get braver!

I have bought a number of Python books, but don't think much of them. They are often outdated, poorly organized and indexed, also have quite a few mistakes in the code. Get books used, if possible!

Python is much easier to learn and understand than C or C++. Much of Python (eg. Python24.dll) is written in C and/or C++, but you don't have to be concerned with that.

Research has been published that claims that Python is about 10 times faster for developing a program than C++ or Java. They are talking about rather large and complex client requested programs. Both Google and Yahoo rely heavily on Python.

A typical example of Python code is ...

# print out a given year's monthly calendar

import calendar

# if you want September 2005 use ...
calendar.prmonth(2005, 9)

... try to do this with C++

A good tutorial for beginners is at:
http://www.byteofpython.info/

Also read through the Starting Python "sticky" and the Python code snippets here on DaniWeb. Above everything, run the code and experiment with it! Change it a little at first and then get braver!

I have bought a number of Python books, but don't think much of them. They are often outdated, poorly organized and indexed, also have quite a few mistakes in the code. Get books used, if possible!

Python is much easier to learn and understand than C or C++. Much of Python (eg. Python24.dll) is written in C and/or C++, but you don't have to be concerned with that.

Research has been published that claims that Python is about 10 times faster for developing a program than C++ or Java. They are talking about rather large and complex client requested programs. Both Google and Yahoo rely heavily on Python.

Thanks, now I'm even more willing to continue.
I've installed PyWin and I'll be using it. I will have more questions soon, I'm sorry if my questions sounds dumb, but I'll try whatever I think it can help me

I am still mostly using C. I know this probably a little bit old fashioned. I am following Python conversation closely too, looks like a interesting language to me. Does not have many many { and } and ;

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.