Member Avatar for nssltd

Hi there.

I have been working on a web browser project and i have got my own history system working, but unfortunately even if the user deletes the history it is still recorded on internet explorer! I want to be able to only record history on my project and stop applications such as firefox sand internet explorer recording history browsed on my web browser.
I am using Visual C# professional edition 2008

Any help is much appreciated,

NSSLTD

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You are probably using the built in WebBrowswer control to handle page rendering. Since this is IE, of course it's going to do what IE does (save history). If you want it to stop you could try setting the InPrivate Browsing to be on (if using IE 8. If your users aren't using IE 8 then this won't work).

You could delete the history when a user exits your browser. Finding all the places that history is stored will be a challenge :)

The other solution is to write your own page renderer.

Member Avatar for nssltd

I think i could write my own web browser component. Do You know any good links for this?
Any help is much appreciated

I think it's more work than you believe it is, but you'll need to implement these standards (at least):
HTTP
HTML 5
CSS 2

Member Avatar for nssltd

Your probably right but ill give it a go! :D

Member Avatar for nssltd

I had a thought. What happens if you could go to the definition of web browser in visual c#, and take out the part that records history? would that work?

Member Avatar for nssltd

You are probably using the built in WebBrowswer control to handle page rendering. Since this is IE, of course it's going to do what IE does (save history). If you want it to stop you could try setting the InPrivate Browsing to be on (if using IE 8. If your users aren't using IE 8 then this won't work).

You could delete the history when a user exits your browser. Finding all the places that history is stored will be a challenge :)

The other solution is to write your own page renderer.

Sorry i just read this properly and i have noticed you said start it in the inprivate mode. I was wondering if you had an idea on how to do this? would i need to import a DLL or is it a property somewhere? Any help is much appreciated
NSSLTD

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.