Hi everyone.
I have two dictionaries. In dictionary1 I have numbers as keys and the occurrence of those numbers as values. In dictonary2 I have numbers again as keys, but there are more numbers here than in dictionary1. The values in dictionary2 are the description of the numbers. From dictionary1 I can get an output file where I have the unique numbers in the first column and the occurrence of the numbers in the second column. No I want to get the description of the number from dictionary2 and put it in the third column, like following:

7 11 books (Basically number 7 has occurred 11 times and number 7 represents books)
4 5 fruits
10 15 buses
How to do this?

Unless I am missing something, look up the key from the first dictionary in the second dictionary.

Here is how I am trying to do it:

# initialize a dictionary: dictionary 1
dd = {}
    dd.setdefault(column3, 0)
    # increment dd[port number] by one
    dd[column3] += 1
ports_name={} # dictionary 2
get_port_name ('Ports', ports_name)

# if the key in dd equals the key (item) in ports_name, insert the value of that item to the third column in the output file:
for key in dd.keys():
    for item in ports_name.keys():
        if key == item:
	    #I want the description to be retrievable by the key in dd and then have the description of the numbers on the third column of the output file and that 
            dd[key][1]= ports_name[item]            

f.close()
outfile.write("\n".join(["%s %s %s" % (key, dd[key][0], dd[key][1]) for key in dd]))
outfile.close()

but it doesn't give any result, not even an error message.

Some comments

initialize a dictionary: dictionary 1
dd = {}

"""  indentation is wrong
"""
    dd.setdefault(column3, 0)
    # increment dd[port number] by one
    dd[column3] += 1

"""  get_port_name() does not return anything so the
     dictionary, ports_name, is empty
     Take a look at "1.1. A first program" 
     cut and paste this link
     http://www.pasteur.fr/formation/infobio/python/ch01.html#d0e115
"""
ports_name={} # dictionary 2
get_port_name ('Ports', ports_name)

# if the key in dd equals the key (item) in ports_name, insert the value of that item to the third column in the output file:
for key in dd.keys():
    if key in ports_name:
        print ports_name[key]     ## description

##    for item in ports_name.keys():
##        if key == item:
	    #I want the description to be retrievable by the key in dd and then have the description of the numbers on the third column of the output file and that 
##            dd[key][1]= ports_name[item]            

f.close()
outfile.write("\n".join(["%s %s %s" % (key, dd[key][0], dd[key][1]) for key in dd]))
outfile.close()

Edited 6 Years Ago by woooee: n/a

Thanks a alot woooee. This is the line that did it:

for key in dd.keys():
    for item in ports_name.keys():
        if key == item:
            outfile.write("\n".join(["%s %s %s" % (key, dd[key], ports_name[item])])+ "\n")

Now I want to sort the data on a descending order based on the second column, that is dd[key] which represents the number of appearances of each item. How to do the sorting? Thanks in advance.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Ashena: More details

Something like this (not able to test without data of your values, but principle should be OK). I use generator instead of lists (sorted produces automatically list).

sorted_table = sorted(((key, dd[key], ports_name[key])
                      for key in dd
                      if key in ports_name), key = lambda x: x[1] )

with open('myoutfile.txt', 'w') as outfile:
    outfile.write('\n'.join(' '.join(line for line in sorted_table)))

Edited 6 Years Ago by pyTony: n/a

Thanks tonyjv. That was great. I just needed to put a minus (-) sign in the lambda function like in the following

if key in ports_name), key = lambda x: -x[1] )

in order to reverse the order.

Now I have an output like this:

[('4672', 8, 'rfa'), ('2800', 8, 'acc-raid'), ('1953', 7, 'rapidbase'), ('2258', 7, 'rcts'), ('2670', 7, 'tve-announce'), ('2273', 5, 'mysql-im'), ('3696', 5, 'telnetcpcd'), ('1818', 5, 'etftp'), ('8080', 5, 'http-alt')]

It is a list of tuples, right? For each tuple in the list, e.g ('4672', 8, 'rfa'),the second entry is the number of occurrences of the first entry and the third entry is a description for the first entry. How do I plot a histogram of the above data with the 'descriptions' along the x-axis and the the 'occurrences' along the y-axis?

How can I write the following list:

[(8, 'rfa'), (8, 'acc-raid'), (7, 'rapidbase'), (7, 'rcts'), (7, 'tve-announce'), (5, 'mysql-im'), (5, 'telnetcpcd'), (5, 'etftp'), (5, 'http-alt')]

to a text file with two columns and many rows, so that I have something like this:

8 rfa
8 acc-raid
7 rapidbase
7 rcts
7 tve-announce
5 mysql-im
5 telnetcpcd

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.