I am a beginner in c++, I taught myself c++ through the book "c++ primer plus", it really took me a lot of will to finish the book. Now i just want to use the thing i learned to do some pratical things in my life, can anybody tell me how to accomplish? Some advice for my learning will receive my appreciation too.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Why stop there? Pick up another book and learn more, even if it's a different language. Maybe you can learn about making games or creating simple databases or create an application to do something at work or school or whatever. You could even have some fun and get a sense of satisfaction answering questions on the board when you feel comfortable doing so.

For better or worse most people these days don't interact with a monitor and the blank screen of a (pretend) console any longer, which is where we learn how to use standard C++. Most of the time the C++ is buried beneath a graphical user interface or is embedded in a chip inside the cars' computer or in the cell phone or the camera or the furnace or somewhere else controlling things behind the scenes. If you want to learn how to work on the front end with a GUI, go for it. If you want to learn about other uses of C++ behind the scenes I'd start with Google or ask a friend about a specific application of the use of C++ in a particular product they work on, etc.

Why stop there? Pick up another book and learn more, even if it's a different language. Maybe you can learn about making games or creating simple databases or create an application to do something at work or school or whatever. You could even have some fun and get a sense of satisfaction answering questions on the board when you feel comfortable doing so.

For better or worse most people these days don't interact with a monitor and the blank screen of a (pretend) console any longer, which is where we learn how to use standard C++. Most of the time the C++ is buried beneath a graphical user interface or is embedded in a chip inside the cars' computer or in the cell phone or the camera or the furnace or somewhere else controlling things behind the scenes. If you want to learn how to work on the front end with a GUI, go for it. If you want to learn about other uses of C++ behind the scenes I'd start with Google or ask a friend about a specific application of the use of C++ in a particular product they work on, etc.

Thank you so much for telling me that, I will deeply memorize it.

I am a beginner in c++, I taught myself c++ through the book "c++ primer plus", it really took me a lot of will to finish the book. Now i just want to use the thing i learned to do some pratical things in my life, can anybody tell me how to accomplish? Some advice for my learning will receive my appreciation too.

try some console apps, depending on your interests. If you love math, go to project eura and keep with their questions. After you get little advanced (IDEs of course) make some interesting project. I would suggest simple audio player (console one) using some libraries like Zplay or Bass. Then Choose GUI toolkit (wxWidgets/QT/GTKmm) and transfer you console App into GUI application. Keep adding things like Podcasting, streaming....and you end up with open/Closed source applications.

That is Just example, you can geer yourself into any direction of your interest. The rule of the thumb is, start with simple app, learn new concept, exapand your app.

My Suggestion:
Compiler: GCC/MiNGW
IDE: CodeLite or Code::Blocks
GUI Toolkit: wxWidgets

hope it helps

try some console apps, depending on your interests. If you love math, go to project eura and keep with their questions. After you get little advanced (IDEs of course) make some interesting project. I would suggest simple audio player (console one) using some libraries like Zplay or Bass. Then Choose GUI toolkit (wxWidgets/QT/GTKmm) and transfer you console App into GUI application. Keep adding things like Podcasting, streaming....and you end up with open/Closed source applications.

That is Just example, you can geer yourself into any direction of your interest. The rule of the thumb is, start with simple app, learn new concept, exapand your app.

My Suggestion:
Compiler: GCC/MiNGW
IDE: CodeLite or Code::Blocks
GUI Toolkit: wxWidgets

hope it helps

Thank you too, it really helps.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

What do you do?

Most people use c++ casually to fix up text files/csv files.

Those who are engineers as such, use it for other purposes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.