Start New Discussion within our Software Development Community

I am having trouble with tkinter and python on my Mac, I'm running Leopard.I did a port install of python2.6, numpy, scipy, matplotlib, but when I try and import matplotlib.pyplot, I get the following error. I think there is a conflict with the pre-built version of python that comes with OSX. I get the following error, and I am not sure how to fix it. I have already tried installing tk 8.5, but that has not helped. Below is the error that I am getting, any help would be awesome:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py", line 95, in <module>
new_figure_manager, draw_if_interactive, show = pylab_setup()
File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/__init__.py", line 25, in pylab_setup
globals(),locals(),[backend_name])
File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_tkagg.py", line 8, in <module>
import Tkinter as Tk, FileDialog
File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 39, in <module>
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

Try to import Tkinter by itself to see if the problem is with Tkinter or matplotlib, or TCL & Tk are not installed. What is a "port install". Those packages should come pre-built from the standard Mac repositories. Generally speaking, a problem like this occurs when the library is installed in a different location. There are several possible things to do depending. On Linux we would check the PYTHONPATH to see where Python searches, or print sys.path.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.