I have just started programming in java. I am planning to do a project on barcode reader. Can you suggest from where shall i start? I want to learn about manipulating pixels. How can i convert the set of pixels into the array of pixels? I am in desperate need of help. Suggest links or whatever that can help me.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Look at the PixelGrabber class for a way to get the pixels for an image.
Also look at the BufferedImage's getRGB() method

I have problem with understanding Java.I couldn't implement PixelGrabber class and getRGB() method. Can you suggest some smaller problems that help me to be familiar with this class so that i can implement this in my project.

Did you try Search here on the forum or with Google for PixelGrabber or getRGB()?

yes i did. I got what it said thanks for help

Can you suggest some smaller problems that help me to be familiar with this class so that i can implement this in my project.

Firstly, that's the right question.

So, create a small graphic image file (use any paint program you like),, maybe 10x10 pixels, with a small block of white, one of black, a bit each of R, G and B. Save it as a bmp, not a jpeg so it says intact when saved.
This test file is small and simple enough for you to be able to check that you are getting the right results.
Now write a simple class with a main method that just reads the file into an Image, pixel grabs it, and prints the RGB values to System.out.
This is as simple to write and test as any pixel app can possibly be. If you find this too much at your current level of expertise, then set aside any thoughts of pixels for the moment and build up your basic Java skills with some simpler programs. If you look in this board you will find lots of students posting problems around learning exercises that you could try for yourself.

The output gave a correct result. I can now simply print the RGBA values. Thanks for suugestion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.