This is my code for my program, it seems to work fine but the problem is i think roll has to be a char in order for q to quit to work when i implement the code in there. but when i use char, when i input the number i want it to randomize, its obviously not the numbers i entered in the selection. how can i get a simple q to quit to work, please help.

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>
#include <string>
#include <iomanip>
#include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;

int main()

{
        int roll;
        int side1 = 0;
        int side2 = 0;
        int side3 = 0;
        int side4 = 0;
        int side5 = 0;
        int side6 = 0;
        const int low = 1;

srand((unsigned)time(NULL));

cout << "\nHow many times would you like to roll the dice? (Enter 'Q' to Quit): ";
            cin >> roll;

// Ensures 1 is not entered at all times

{
         while (roll <= low)
        {
            cout << "\nPlease enter a number greater than 1: ";
            cin >> roll;
        }

// Random Number Code in the range of what the user inputed for roll
        }

for ( int i = 0; i < roll; i++ )
        {
         int counter = rand() % 6 + 1; 

// Switch statement to switch each (dice side) with rand function

switch ( counter )

{   
case 1:
side1++;

break;

case 2:
side2++;

break;

case 3:
side3++;

break;

case 4:
side4++;

break;

case 5:
side5++;

break;

case 6:
side6++;

break;
}
    }

const double percent = .100;

cout << "\n\nDice Roll Statistics";
cout << setw(2) << " \n\n# Rolled" << setw(10) << " # Times" << setw(11) << " % Times\n";
cout << setw(2) << " -------" << setw(10) << " -------" << setw(12) << " -------\n\n";
cout << setw(9) << "1 " << setw(9) << side1 << setw(7) << "% " << side1/percent << endl;
cout << setw(9) << "2 " << setw(9) << side2 << setw(7) << "% " << side2/percent << endl;
cout << setw(9) << "3 " << setw(9) << side3 << setw(7) << "% " << side3/percent << endl;
cout << setw(9) << "4 " << setw(9) << side4 << setw(7) << "% " << side4/percent << endl;
cout << setw(9) << "5 " << setw(9) << side5 << setw(7) << "% " << side5/percent << endl;
cout << setw(9) << "6 " << setw(9) << side6 << setw(7) << "% " << side6/percent << endl << endl;

system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}

Edited 3 Years Ago by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

If roll is an int then you can set it to 'q' by simply doing this

roll = 'q';

but having one variable for two independent uses can lead to confusing code.

Edited 6 Years Ago by gerard4143: n/a

Well, I really see no point in why you need the option to quit using 'q' in this case. Just let the user enter the number 2 or whatever. I ran some tests with your code, and if you enter a char from within the for-loop you enter an infinite loop. I think that is because cin only reads integers from the buffer, leaving all chars (including the '\n').

I would like to recommend that you either ask the user if he/she wants to quit separately, and then ask for an integer, OR you will have to read an entire c-string:

char * inStr;
cin.get(inStr);

Then you have to check stuff like if the length is 2 (char + '\n') then see if it equals 'q'. If not, then you will have to ranslate it manually to an integer.

Good luck to you!
Emil Olofsson

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.