Hey all,

I've been using Visual Studio for a long time. Lately though, after I build an executable successfully, it won't let me build it again for a solid 60 seconds or so, claiming that, for example, test.exe is still in use (when it's clearly not, because if I go into the directory and delete it it will let me rebuild right away). It's not a huge deal, but it is a little frustrating especially when I'm making rapid changes and testing output. So I was hoping that maybe there was a setting somewhere that I accidentally tinkered with and didn't realize that's causing the problem.

-Greywolf

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hey all,

I've been using Visual Studio for a long time. Lately though, after I build an executable successfully, it won't let me build it again for a solid 60 seconds or so, claiming that, for example, test.exe is still in use (when it's clearly not, because if I go into the directory and delete it it will let me rebuild right away). It's not a huge deal, but it is a little frustrating especially when I'm making rapid changes and testing output. So I was hoping that maybe there was a setting somewhere that I accidentally tinkered with and didn't realize that's causing the problem.

-Greywolf

Just a wild guess, but perhaps you have built the program, then run it, then tried to build it again before closing the window (i.e. the program is STILL running)? If you do that, you're going to get that error because test.exe IS still in use. You can't build it again if it's still running.

Just throwing that out there. Make sure nothing's running when you try to rebuild. I doubt there's a big with Visual Studio and I know of no setting to change.

Just a wild guess, but perhaps you have built the program, then run it, then tried to build it again before closing the window (i.e. the program is STILL running)? If you do that, you're going to get that error because test.exe IS still in use. You can't build it again if it's still running.

Just throwing that out there. Make sure nothing's running when you try to rebuild. I doubt there's a big with Visual Studio and I know of no setting to change.

I know better than to make that mistake. It's weird because it's not write protected (I can delete it manually and then compile right away), it's just VS that THINKS it's write protected.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.