Hello,

I am having a problem with adding a row to my DataSet. I think I know what the problem is, but not how to correct it. I have several bound text boxes that fill from the DataSet. The first column is a numeric and the next several are text strings. When I try to add the new row it hangs at the first entry and gives me a wrong type error. I think the problem is that when it tries to update from the text box with new information, it is trying to enter Text into a Numeric field. My question is how do I convert the data to the proper type during the update? I am including part of the code here for claification. The database is a one table Access database. VID is the Primary Key in the table.

Code:

Private Sub btnAdd_Click_1(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click

Dim drNew As System.Data.DataRow

drNew = Me.DsHeartland1.Customer.NewRow
drNew.Item("VID") = ("New VID")
drNew.Item("Customer Name") = ("New Customer Name")
drNew.Item("Address") = ("New Address")
drNew.Item("City") = ("New City")
drNew.Item("State") = ("New State")
drNew.Item("Zip") = ("New Zip")
drNew.Item("Phone 1") = ("New Phone 1")
drNew.Item("Phone 2") = ("New Phone 2")
drNew.Item("Phone 3") = ("New Phone 3")
drNew.Item("Fax") = ("New Fax")
drNew.Item("Email") = "New Email"
Me.DsHeartland1.Customer.Rows.Add(drNew)

The debugger will stop and error at the line adding "VID" which is a numeric entry.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Try this,
Convert.ToInt32("" + VariableName + "")

Thanks for the suggestion. When I tried it I received an error saying that VID was not defined. I tried it without the extra quotes and + and had an error saying "This code has called into another function. When that function is finished the next statement will be executed". I am using .Net 2002, don't know if that would make a difference or not. It seems like it should be so simple and I am sure it is, just can't see it yet! :confused:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.