Hello all, I have an app that I've developed that has a vb.net front end and a SQL Server 2000 database backend. I currently have it running fine on my machine and it also installs fine on all the users that are inside the domain that the app was written in. When I try to install my application on another domain it hangs and doesn't even run the install script.

Has anyone ever experienced problems installing an app accross domains?

Is there something that I need to code differently to make it non-domain specific?

I could use some suggestions to fix this,

Thanks in advance,

I do not/have not coded any SQL server applications, so I am not certain if a problem could occur from SQL, but...
The operating system you are trying to install your software to might not have the appropriate .NET Framework installed as the .NET Framework you have designed your application to use.

A simple solution to checking which .NET Framework is installed on "the other" computer, is to use Internet Explorer and paste the following in the address bar.

javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)

Then check for all the .NET #.#.

I do not/have not coded any SQL server applications, so I am not certain if a problem could occur from SQL, but...
The operating system you are trying to install your software to might not have the appropriate .NET Framework installed as the .NET Framework you have designed your application to use.

A simple solution to checking which .NET Framework is installed on "the other" computer, is to use Internet Explorer and paste the following in the address bar.

javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)

Then check for all the .NET #.#.

Ok, I was under the impression that .net would include all the components that I needed when I built the app. If I am running the wrong version on the other machine, where could I go to get an update and bring them current?

See if this helps.

Thank you for your reply and help. What I think is happening in my instance is probably network related because I checked the users .net framework and she has .NET 2.0, 3.0, & 3.5 installed. I also noticed that if she logs into a share using my ID (Which is on my domain) she is able to install, but when she tries to install from her domain she is unable to get anything to run. I also have another user that is in her domain and he is able to install as well. So this would lead me to believe that there is a group that my male user is a member of that the other user needs to be added to in order to complete the install successfully. I won't know this until I complete the paperwork to have her id analyzed and have her added to all necessary groups so that I can test.

I will update this thread with my results..

Thanks

I was approaching this problem all wrong. I am formerly a vb6 programmer and thought that you could compile an app. using build and just distribute the .exe file to my users.

This is apparently not the proper way to do this in .net

I ended up having to use the package wizard to fully deploy my package. Once I added the package to my project and went through the procedure to fully deploy the app worked fine on the other domain.

Thanks for all responses to this post.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.