i've made a little animation using python and the pygame module,
I'm just wondering if it's possible to turn that into a screensaver?
is there a format i have to save it to?

If anyone knows i would be grateful for the solution

thanks,
a1eio

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Thinking about the way it's done with C on Windows, and that you have to create an certain .exe file and then rename to .scr
This might be not doable in Python since it does not make .exe file.

Also looks like it might be highly specific to the operating system you have.

hehe however py2exe might be able to do it, thanks anyway i'll look into it

You could always make a .exe file that calls the Python script, then rename that to .scr, right?

I suggest a book that will help you with alot of the programming that you would need to learn. I suggest "Beginning Game Development with Python and Pygame from Novice to Professional" by Will McGugan

i've made a little animation using python and the pygame module,
I'm just wondering if it's possible to turn that into a screensaver?
is there a format i have to save it to?

If anyone knows i would be grateful for the solution

thanks,
a1eio

When you generate an .exe with py2exe it also makes other files that I think the .exe is dependent on. Like some .pyd files and such. Well, all the .exes I generated with py2exe did that for me, at least. I may have been doing something wrong though, as I haven't used py2exe very much...

I have not had much experience with python. All I can tell you is seek advice from people that understand more on what you are talking about. I have seen it in the book I have on more about py2exe. I do not know alot about it but I am sure I will be learning more about it.

Ok then. It took me a little while to grasp py2exe's workings, but not too long. If you were to follow the tutorial then you'll be fine. Good luck with this idea!

py2exe homepage

Setting up py2exe can be tedious Job, but Andrea Gavana have done such plausible work to make a GUI.
http://code.google.com/p/gui2exe/

I have made DrPython to exe and packed it with Inno setup compiler and It works wonderfully! So If you think of making exe, then I think it is a way to go!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.