I am facing a problem over and would like to ask if anyone knows the solution.
On the following code i am looping files for sentences and then words. If a specific word is found i would like to store a String with the specific phrase.
In example word[x-3] until word[x+3]

any Suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.

public void ScanSearch() {

for (int i = 0; i < files.length; i++) {
            try {
            	BufferedReader fileIn = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(files[i][1]));
            	int lineCount =1;
            	String line = fileIn.readLine();
            	while(line != null){
            		String[] lineWords = line.split(" ");
            		for (int j=0; j<lineWords.length; j++){

if (lineWords[j] == inputArr[0]){
            		line = fileIn.readLine();
            } catch (Exception e) {

7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jon.kiparsky

So if you're reading this post, for example, and you're looking for the word "example", you'd have two strings, "this post, for example, and you're looking " and "for the word "example", you'd have two" - is that right?
[EDIT: okay, more than two strings, but let's not get recursive... :) ]

If you want to make a new class, I'd make a variant on a queue. For some length n, it accepts the first n tokens, then once full it loses a token for each token pushed, dropping the tokens on a FIFO basis of course. It would then have a method to return all n tokens, and you're pretty much done - when you get a match, you build a string with the n tokens, plus the match token, plus the next n tokens in the input.

Or, simpler maybe, you read the string and split it into an array of words. Read each word: if it's the match word, you can just grab the array elements surrounding it. Depends on your requirements, I guess - the array is easier if you have a static file, the other might be easier if you're reading input from a stream.

Edited by jon.kiparsky: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.