Sarafyna 0 Newbie Poster

I am creating a chat program with a file share, and 2player game. Because of the many different types of things passing from the client and the server I am having issues parsing it out.

The game and chat programs use a String but the file share requires an object to be sent to the server then the clients have the option to download it from the server.

this is what I have right now, I am not quite sure where I need to start. I know what i will need to do to figure out the connect, game or message data(which are all string parsing) , but not sure how to manipulate the object.

anyone have any idea where I need to start?

//this is the method for the Client to receive incoming threads
 private void ReceiveMessages()
        {
            // Receive the response from the server

srReceiver = new StreamReader(tcpServer.GetStream());
            // If the first character of the response is 1, connection was successful
            string ConResponse = srReceiver.ReadLine();
            // If the first character is a 1, connection was successful
            if (ConResponse[0] == '1')
            {
                // Update the form to tell it we are now connected
               main.Invoke(new UpdateLogCallback(main.UpdateLog), new object[] { "Connected Successfully!" });
            }
            else // If the first character is not a 1 (probably a 0), the connection was unsuccessful
            {
                string Reason = "Not Connected: ";
                // Extract the reason out of the response message. The reason starts at the 3rd character
                Reason += ConResponse.Substring(2, ConResponse.Length - 2);
                // Update the form with the reason why we couldn't connect

main.Invoke(new CloseConnectionCallback(main.CloseConnection), new object[] { Reason });

// Exit the method
                return;
            }
            // While we are successfully connected, read incoming lines from the server
            while (Connected)
            {

try
                {

// Show the messages in the log TextBox
                    main.Invoke(new UpdateLogCallback(main.UpdateLog), new object[] {                                srReceiver.ReadLine() });
                }
                catch { }
            }
        }
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.