Hi Daniweb, I've almost always found solutions for various problems before and have now decided to become a member so I can contribute as well.

I would consider myself a so-so programmer (I understand classes, pointers, matrices, I/O, vectors, and of course structure). I am only able to make code which works with Command Line, however. I want to start basic Windows programming.

However, every time I try to get started I get a bunch of "Ok c&p all this code:

//Garbage code I don't understand
int WinMain...
    //put your code hear!
//more code I don't understand

and that's how you do it!"

This doesn't teach anything, I'm looking for an explanation as to how it works. A line by line tutorial would be nice. Also, often this simply does not work, and I am unable to troubleshoot because I don't understand.

As it goes, right now I have no code with which to start any simple project.

My questions: where can I find code which works? Where can I find an explanation for this code?

I imagine that a lot of programmers face this hurdle at some point so I would like to make this as useful a thread as possible.

If it makes a difference:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you're looking at the Win32 API. The best (intro) tutorial I know of for that is http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

Keep in mind there are other options like Qt and wxWidgets which are more abstracted and therefore a bit more intuitive to use. There's also WinForms programming which uses a dialect of C++ known as C++/CLI, which has a different syntax and can be daunting (and tough to find tutorials on, thought I've heard the Ivor Horton book is good).

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.