hello. im completely new to Java. i have done quite a bit of C# in the past, so that should be an advantage really. my question is, which area or section of Java should i start studying (i dont need to go through console applications..) to have a quick start into building graphical applications, then maybe mobile phones apps or even something for the web? could please anybody advise me? cheers

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by aligajani

NetBeans or Eclipse. I use Eclipse and love it.
I'm assuming you can understand the basics and just don't know java's capabilities and syntax. If you really want to jump straight into GUIs, do a google search for "java layouts" and "java swing."

I started with "Java for Dummies (9 Books in One)". And NetBeans. I love NetBeans.

cheers, but i didnt ask for java for dumies, i said, i done quite a bit of c# and i dont have a problem with java at all. already tried it and its pretty much the same like c#. it seems like nobody even red my question, and i thought this website was solid. my mistake.. cheers anyway. ps: i was asking for a head start for more advanced java for mobile phone applications for example and stuff.. NO BASICS.. see?

I have a C++ in a Nutshell O'Reilly book and it's nothing beginner, although a beginner with enough patience could use it. It has everything there is to know on the language. Here is the O'Reilly Java in a Nutshell:
Java in a Nutshell
And here is the Java 6 API reference:
Java 6 API

Edited by seanbp: n/a

cheers, but i didnt ask for java for dumies, i said, i done quite a bit of c# and i dont have a problem with java at all. already tried it and its pretty much the same like c#. it seems like nobody even red my question, and i thought this website was solid. my mistake.. cheers anyway. ps: i was asking for a head start for more advanced java for mobile phone applications for example and stuff.. NO BASICS.. see?

yeah, the "I 'm completely new to Java" part gave that away :)
the best place to find info about (from basic to the more advanced stuff) Java is the official site. (this used to be http://java.sun.com, but since Java was taken over by Oracle, it should redirect you to their site.

go take a look there, it should get you lots of handy information on how to get further.

Quick question on the subject of Java APIs since it was mentioned.

Is it possible to download an API? And if so, from where would I do that?

Thanks everyone!

Sorry for asking in another post.

-WolfShield

Dear friend,

I would recoommend you to start off by getting a copy of the famous book called,
Head First - Java 2nd Edition by O'Reilley. It is a great book for any started and it is more than a computer book. It is really engrossing and interesting.

Regards,
Ali.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.