Hai friends
I have a small problem with my code...
I want to copy an existing file (its a model MS Excel file) to a new file & name it with the current date...
First I tried to create the model Excel file, but when I opened it, it had only one sheet inside it, so I tried to copy the existing file, but I couldnt find any bright ideas... can anyone show me a way?

import sys
import win32com.client

fileVM = open('e:/disk/vm.xls','a')
fileVM.close()

The above code creates the file with a single Excel Sheet inside it. But my model file has a lot of info, so I wud prefer to copy & then rename the existing file...

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by xav.vijay

are you just looking for a was to copy a file(I might be missing something)

import shutil
shutil.copy2('e:/disk/vm.xls', 'new_name_of_copy')

I have only tested this on my linux system, but it should also work on a windows platform.

You may want to use shutil.copy(sourcefile, destinationfile), it gives copy the current date, shutil.copy2(sourcefile, destinationfile) gives the date of the file you copy.

You may want to use shutil.copy(sourcefile, destinationfile), it gives copy the current date, shutil.copy2(sourcefile, destinationfile) gives the date of the file you copy.

good point, I was not sure on the exact difference

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.