Hello.

I'm looking for a way to format lines on a MsgBox, so that the records don't seem out of place.

What I have is this:

http://sites.google.com/site/hqupt666/home/Untitled.jpg?attredirects=0

If you can't see it it's something like this:

Num Name HF
1 something 11
2 somethingelse 22
3 andsomethingelse 33

I've been googling and it seems there is no way of changing the MsgBox itself but how can I solve this?

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

See if this helps.

MsgBox("Num Name HF" & vbNewLine & "1:      something(11)" & vbNewLine & "2:      somethingelse(22)" & vbNewLine & "3 andsomethingelse 33")

Also, check out this link for a custom message box.

Hello codeorder.

Thank you for your answer.

That is not what I'm looking for.

What appears in the MsgBox is the content of a Sub. This one, to be exact:

Public Sub PrintClients()
        Dim st As String = String.Format("{0,-15} {1,-15} {2,-15}", "Num", "Name", "HF")
        For Each c As Client In ClientsListBindingSource
            st &= ControlChars.CrLf & c.toString
        Next
        MsgBox(st)
    End Sub

I just want to put the results on the screen. If a MsgBox is not the best way, please make a suggestion.

I'm looking for a way to format lines on a MsgBox, so that the records don't seem out of place. If a MsgBox is not the best way, please make a suggestion.

MessageBox simply displays a string and you can't change the font or other properties of the messabox with VB.NET.

The link that codeorder provided shows a way to do a custom "MessageBox". In your case a simpler custom "MessageBox" will do. Create a borderless form, add a ListBox control with three columns, attach ListBox's left, top and right side to borderless form and add a button at the bottom part of the form. That's the simplest way I can think of doing it.

HTH

MessageBox simply displays a string and you can't change the font or other properties of the messabox with VB.NET.

The link that codeorder provided shows a way to do a custom "MessageBox". In your case a simpler custom "MessageBox" will do. Create a borderless form, add a ListBox control with three columns, attach ListBox's left, top and right side to borderless form and add a button at the bottom part of the form. That's the simplest way I can think of doing it.

HTH

Hello Teme64. Thank you for your answer.

Ok, that will work for me. First, with that listbox solution, how can I make it to have three columns? And then, how do I put the data of the st String on them?

Sorry. I was meaning ListView not ListBox :) :

Dim TempNode As ListViewItem
Dim OneLine(2) As String

ListView1.View = View.Details
' Column headers & width
ListView1.Columns.Add("Num", 60)
ListView1.Columns.Add("Name", 60)
ListView1.Columns.Add("HF", 60)
OneLine(0) = "1"
OneLine(1) = "something"
OneLine(2) = "11"
TempNode = New ListViewItem(OneLine)
ListView1.Items.Add(TempNode)
' And so on

HTH

Oh, ok. :)

I well try it then.

Thank you.

Ok, this does the trick of alligning the client's info. But still, I'm missing the part of reading the data. I'm saving the client's info on a csv format file. Can I just read the file to the ListView, taking out the ","?

Got it to work with this one:

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Dim lv As New ListView()
        lv.Dock = DockStyle.Fill
        lv.View = View.Details
        lv.HeaderStyle = ColumnHeaderStyle.Nonclickable
        lv.Columns.Add("Number", 50)
        lv.Columns.Add("Name", 150)
        Me.Controls.Add(lv)
        Me.Width = 210

Dim fileC As String = "clifile.txt"

If File.Exists(fileC) Then
            Using sr As New StreamReader(fileC)
                While Not sr.EndOfStream
                    Dim lineText As String() = sr.ReadLine().Split(",")
                    lv.Items.Add(New ListViewItem(lineText))
                End While
            End Using
        Else
            MsgBox("File not found.")
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Btn_OK_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Btn_OK.Click
        MyBase.Close()
    End Sub

Sweet. Thank you for your help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.