I have written a VB6 application to query an industrial MSSQL database and installed it locally to run on one network machine, Is it possible to install it on the server to allow all users to run it? Is the compile/build any different?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi

Welcome to Daniweb

I would install on each PC because you would have to ensure that all dll's needed are locally installed on each PC, so whilst you are trying to work that one out then make an install set from VB and install on each user's PC, just as you would Office, etc.

Does your application just query the database ? If it updates, then please consider how you lock records, whilst they are being updated, so two people can't update same record at same time.

Denis

Thanks Denis
The program only queries the database, so there are no updates which keeps it simple.
I am back at work next week so I will install on only the machines it is required on.

Your help is much appreciated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.