So, I have to store ( in a variable?) the number as a Roman Numeral ( M = 1000, D=500 etc.) Convert it to decimal and store in decimal. Print the number as a Roman numeral or decimal number as requested by the user.

I suppose it's 2 separate functions, one to print Roman, one to print decimal. Remember, a larger numeral preceding a smaller numeral means addition, so LX is 60. A smaller numeral preceding a larger numeral means subtraction, so XL is 40. Any place in a decimal number, such as the 1s place, the 10s place, and so on, requires from zero to four Roman numerals....

ugh, I'm not sure. Any ideas? Help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

What are you not sure about? And please don't say "I don't know how to start", because that's a sad excuse I see far too often.

commented: indeed +17

If you want any help (and you do from the above poster) then an amount of effort shown really is required.

why don't you try switch statements with the roman numerals?
it goes something like this:

case 'I':
num = 1; 
cout << num;

:)

commented: Thanks. At loeast not an ignorant answer like the other ones... it's sad. +2

why don't you try switch statements with the roman numerals?
it goes something like this:

case 'I':
num = 1; 
cout << num;

:)

What do you mean? I don't think that's not gonna work because, the letters are also used for subtraction and stuff like that. Then, I would have to have way to many statements to cover every possibility.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.