I am relatively new to Python and just have a couple quick questions about using file paths in Python code.

1) As I was recently playing around with the command line, I could not get a file path to work correctly unless I used forward slashes in the path...for example:

reader = csv.reader(open('C:/Folder/Folder/file.txt', 'wb'))

However, I wrote a program previously that used the backslash and everything worked just fine. Is there a time to use the backslash and time to use the forward slash or does it not matter?

2) I was also trying to use the path to a shared file on the network drive recently and Python did not seem to like the path

path = "\\VPC\Scala Test\Movies 10-12-09"

for example. Can shared folders be referenced in a Python program or do the files have to be on the hard drive of the computer the program is written on?

Thanks

backslash is native to windows as forwardslash to linux/unix/bsd file path. if you want to write an app. for network , then your good choice shout be forwardslash.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.