What happens if I have a method declaration of:

int method( char * a, char * b, int * c );

and then I pass in:

char a;
char b;
int c;
method(a, b, &c);

This has me a little puzzled. What values will be passed by reference?

Edited by Duki: n/a

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Duki

The code is incorrect and the compiler will puke out errors at you. All parameters must be passed by reference. method(&a, &b, &c);

Or you can explicitly make pointers and pass those by value.

char* a;
   char* b;
   int* c;
   method(a, b, c);

Edited by Moschops: n/a

Ok, I see now. They're using LPSTR, something I've never heard of. I'm thinking this whole component needs updating.

That probably will compile but won't link properly. You are attempting to pass in actual objects instead of pointers to objects which causes the linker to look for a different overloaded version of the function/method. If it does compile & link successfully, you'll probably get memory errors and/or crashes. For the declaration you have, this would be the proper call:

char a;
char b;
int c;
method(&a, &b, &c);

With the proper call, a, b, and c in method() would be storing the memory addresses of a, b, and c in the previous scope.

A different, simpler, declaration for a pass by reference would be:

int method( char &a, char &b, int &c );

Then the call would be:

char a;
char b;
int c;
method(a, b, c);

EDIT:
Oops, some overlap.

>>They're using LPSTR, something I've never heard of. I'm thinking this whole component needs updating
AD would have to confirm, as he does a lot with windows programming, but I believe LPSTR is a Windows API typedef for char*. The Windows APIs use a lot of strange type names like that.

Edited by Fbody: n/a

Preferably use Ancient Dragon's response. Or instead of pointers use reference.

int method (char &a, char &b, int &c);
char a,
b;
int c;
method(a,b,c);

Ok, makes more sense now. I guess that's where I was getting confused. Now that I know they're actually passing in char* and not just char, I think my question isn't relevant anymore. Thanks guys.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.