I'm working on a program that reads a line of code and stores each word into an index or a array of string and I'm stuck. Its a small part of a larger project I must used cin.getline:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <cstring>
#include <cctype>
#include <iomanip>
using namespace std;
int main ()
{
char anything;
sting word[3000];

while (!cin.eof())
{
cin.getline(anything);
line++;

(somehow I have to put each word from the line into its own index of the string array and I am so lost on how to do that)
}
}
Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by griswolf

There is some problems with your code, right now I'm too lazy to point them out and try to explain it all. Instead I will give you a push in the right direction to achieve what you want to do. First you want to make use of std::string and std::vector. std::string are a more powerful char arrays, and std::vector is a more powerful generic arrays. Before I say more, how does the input look like?

We are not suppose to use vectors or any container classes. The output is suppose to look like this

21 58 348
Total 48 different characters, 5 most used characters:
No. 0:                  44
No. 1: \t               29
No. 2: e                24
No. 3: a                23
No. 4: \n               21

Total 46 different identifiers, 5 most used identifiers:
No. 0: the              2
No. 1: a                2
No. 2: of               2
No. 3: will             2
No. 4: on               1

Total 6 different numbers, 5 most used numbers:
No. 0: 1                2
No. 1: 5                2
No. 2: 2                1
No. 3: 3                1
No. 4: 83               1

its suppose to get some input and compute the amount of line, words, and characters. Then its to fine the top 5 most used characters, lines, and numbers. My my question is how can I go about accessing the each individual character within that line, because I have to make a count of which ones are numbers or not, so should I use cin.get()?

Edited by ana_1234: n/a

Just like firstPerson I suggest using the string type instead of char. To access each individual character you can use the following syntax:

string line;
char firstchar = line[0];

You can use a loop to get each char. Something like:

for(int i=0; i < line.size(); i++)
{
char = linepp[i];
}

Then you can store each letter, special char or number in differents arrays. Of course that's incomplete but I hope you get the point.

Also I'm a bit unsure on what you are trying to do with this while loop:

while (!cin.eof())

Are the line / sentences user inputs or you are reading from a file?

Anyway in both cases the method I suggested above should work.. but it's not really clear what you are trying to do.

Is std::string considered a 'container class' by your prof? If not, then the recommendation to use it is very good. If so, then I hope you are in an advanced C++ class, because beginners should be given full use of all the tools. Otherwise they should be taking a C class instead. It is very wrong-headed to try to teach C++ 'from the ground up' to folks without much programming experience. The whole point of C++ is to make powerful and useful constructs easily available.

If you really have to work with (const) char* lines Look in the C forum. For instance: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread77052.html

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.