I am just having trouble with the beginning stages here. I am just very confused on different syntax terms.

I have a book here "Microsoft Visual C++.net" with all the installation and whatnot with it. It doesnt use the normal cin and cout but used Console::WriteLine and what not.

Is this still considered c++ or it another form or type? Does it matter at the beginning when I open a file if I go to console application or something else? It seems to be very closely realted but different in some other ways, like using the find function does not seem to work with some examples I have found online?

I know I am missing something very basic but the book does not really explain.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

>>I have a book here "Microsoft Visual C++.net" with all the installation and whatnot with it. It doesnt use the normal cin and cout but used Console::WriteLine and what not.

Because that is not c++ -- its a different language called clr/c++, which is a derivative of c++. If you want to learn c++ then create a win32 console application, not a CLR project.

As I understand it, the .NET libraries are Object-Oriented libraries that use a Microsoft extension to C++ called "C++/CLI" (among other things, I don't know which version is the "official" version). Technically, a statement such as "Console::WriteLine("Hello World!");" is valid C++ syntax, but it's using parts of the .NET library instead of using a Standard C++ Library/Header such as <iostream>.

EDIT:
Oops, looks like AD beat me to it...

Ok that explains some things, I suppose it will be a better idea for me to code it in c++. It will be much easier to search for things and get help than using the other hybridish language. Thank!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.