Hey;

I am developing a console game in C#. I wanted to create a file called "accounts.bin" to hold players accounts information.

So when I try to create or access the file the program halts and throws an exception called "UnauthroizedAccessException". I tried to put the file into the "C:\" directory, then "C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\" directory but nothing changed.

Here below is my AccountsFile class, I just implemented the constructors. How can I grant the application with the needed authorization ? Is there anything wrong with the code, because this is the first time I am working with File IO.

public class AccountsFile
    {
        #region Fields
        string _fileName;
        int _numberOfAccounts;

#endregion

#region Properties
        public string FileName { get; set; }
        public int NumberOfAccounts { get; set; }
        public DateTime LastModifiedDate { get; set; }

#endregion

#region Constructors
        public AccountsFile() 
        {
            NumberOfAccounts = 0;
            FileName = "\\Program Files (x86)\\BrainSalad\\info\\accounts.bin";
            BinaryWriter file = new BinaryWriter(File.Create(FileName));
            file.Write(NumberOfAccounts);
        }

public AccountsFile(string iFileName)
        {
            FileName = iFileName;
            try
            {
                BinaryReader file = new BinaryReader(File.Open(FileName, FileMode.Open));
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                BinaryWriter file = new BinaryWriter(File.Create(FileName));
                file.Write(0);
            }
            BinaryReader existingFile = new BinaryReader(File.Open(FileName, FileMode.Open));
            NumberOfAccounts = existingFile.ReadInt32();
        }
        #endregion
    }

Okay, I placed the file to the desktop. That solved my problem.

Just FYI, in Windows Vista/7 it is no longer recommended that files be placed in the directory with the executable (this is a safety feature to prevent malicious code from overwriting your exe files). The proper place is in the Users directory. Either //Users/Public or //Users/<username> depending on if the file is shared among all users or is specific to the particular user.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.