Okay, so I've been searching the internet for hours trying to find the solution to my problem. Many came close, but didn't describe exactly what I want to do.

I have an excel file that displays the names, locations and other information about certain servers for work. I want to query the database (easy), but I also want to be able to go in and remove, add and move information in the spreadsheet.

This would be easy to just export it as a csv file and then work with that, but many of the cells have specific formatting (fill color, bold, font size...). How should I go about this? I have Visual Studio, and am fairly well versed in C++, Python and a bit of Java.

Thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I think the easiest solution would be to try VBA. If you already have good knowledge of other programming languages you would pick sufficient (to write dirty, inefficient and unmaintainable script) knowledge of this language ("basically" you just need to find necessary function in reference manual). I don't know if this is still true for newer office, but VBA was language to getting things done in excel. Also for such specific task C++ is a bit of overkill.

Wow, exactly what I was looking for. That definitely seems like the easiest way. Where would the best place be to find tutorials on VBA?

Actually, here's a better question: once I code the VBA program, how do I run it without opening the editor and re-compiling?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.