This is my app.config

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="radicalGuard"
         value="Data Source = MICHAEL-PC\SQLEXPRESS; Initial Catalog = radicalGuardDB; Integrated Security = True" />
  </appSettings>
</configuration>

And this is my connection string

SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["radicalGuard"].ToString());

Whenever I try to debug, it says "object reference not set to an instance of an object", and if I try to run without debugging it will say "application has stopped working"..

Need help.

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by AngelicOne

You are using an obsolete deprecated method to retrieve the application settings.
I would prefer to use

SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(System.Properties.Settings.Default.radicalGuard);

Hope this helps

Votes + Comments
thanks

What's the difference other than its deprecated?

Edited by AngelicOne: n/a

The difference, in the tests i did, is that the ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings is always returning an empty array (??), so it is currently compiling without error, but not working to me (VS2010 .NET 4.0).

Hope this helps.

I'm trying to change my config file to work with the new method of using it. I got an error saying appSettings has invalid child element settings.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <appSettings>
    <setting name="radicalGuard">
      <value>
        Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=radicalGuardDB;Integrated Security=True
      </value>
    </setting>
 </appSettings>
</configuration>

Where would I put the appsettings? Or am I missing something?

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.