Hey all. I'm in the process of learning Java in my spare time, and I've bumped into a problem that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. I'm writing a small game (currently little more than an animation) involving a handful of blocks moving on-screen. I've created a subclass of JPanel to define GUI content (which would later be invoked in either an applet or stand-alone program), and all the GUI components are defined therein as nested classes. My question involves an "<identifier> expected" error at the constructor for one of these nested classes. Visually, this code looks similar to constructors made for other classes, and I think that's what's throwing me off. Here's the whole class:

private class NPCBlock
{
 int x, y, o;
 boolean isMovingNegative;

NPCBlock(int x, y, o)
 {
  x = x;
  y = y;
  o = o;
  isMovingNegative = (Math.random() < 0.5);
 }

void update()
 {
  if (isMovingNegative)
  {
   if (no == 1)
    x -= 15;
   else
    y -= 15;
  }
  else
  {
   if (no == 1)
    x += 15;
   else
    y += 15;
  }

if (((x-30) < 0) | ((y-30) < 0))
   isMovingNegative = false;

else if (((x+30) > width) | ((y+30) > height))
   isMovingNegative = true;
 }

void draw(Graphics g)
 {
  g.setColor(Color.RED);
  g.fillRect(x-15, y-15, 30, 30);
 }
}

and this is an example of the constructor call: npc1 = new NPCBlock(width/2, height*.25, 1); The command line error message is:

BlockGamePanel.java:175: <identifier> expected
NPCBlock(int x, y, o)
^
BlockGamePanel.java:175: <identifier> expected
NPCBlock(int x, y, o)
^
2 errors

All instances of NPCBlock are initialized in the enclosing class. Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Should I have posted more of the code?

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by SavnetSinn
NPCBlock(int x, int y, int o) {
		this.x = x;
		this.y = y;
		this.o = o;
	}

Adjust your constructor as above. You have 2 issues:
1) you need to declare a type for each of the incoming parameters
2) parameters have precedence over global variables (e.g. this.x) within a constructor or method, so by do "x = x", you are telling the compiler to make the parameter equal itself, not the global variable as intended. To override this, add the object identifier in this case "this".

Also, look into the Random class; it has more flexibility than Math.random();

For instance, you can do: int i = new Random().nextInt(10); // gives a random between 0 and 9

Thank you. 'This' solved my problem, and you helped fix my misunderstanding about formal parameter definitions. It's much appreciated.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.