I have a C#.NET Website that stores status logs from hardware installations. A report is stored in a report_info table and it's data entries are stored in report_data. I first insert into the report_info table and retrieve the insert ID using:

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT @@IDENTITY";
// Get the last inserted id.
aReport.reportId = Convert.ToInt32(cmd.ExecuteScalar());

aReport.reportId is then used as the Foreign Key in report_data table's entries. I have debugged to show that the reportId is correct and exists in the table, however, I get the error: "The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint"

Any ideas on what might cause this error would be really helpful. I'm at the 'losing patience' point ...

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Let's see the insert statement and the report_data definition.

I figured it out. So it would work on the first time around. The report_info table and the report_data table have a reference to the installation table. I had the report_info_id and installation_id parameters flipped, so it would work the first time when the installation_id and the report_info_id were both 1, it would not work on subsequent inserts. Thanks

Mark the problem solved then :)

No way, homie! ... Ok, it's marked as solved, my bad.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.