Hi All ~ So the program actually compiles without using arrays or global variables, outputs the correct user input, however average score and lowest score values that compute are wrong. I have no idea where the heck I'm messing up but I am hoping you can help me.

The findLowest module works in that it outputs the last number entered by the user. calcAverge outputs the average of the last score alone. I guess I need to know where to put the accumulator for calcAverage and whether I should take a different approach altogether.

I am soooooo.....close to having this program work...*sigh*

Thank you for any help!:)

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

void getScore (int &);
int findLowest (int);
void calcAverage (int);

int main ()
{
	int refscore;

getScore(refscore);
	findLowest(refscore);
	calcAverage(refscore);

cout << "The lowest score is: " << findLowest(refscore) << "\n" << endl;

system("pause");
	return 0;
}

void getScore(int &refscore)
{

cout << "Please enter a test score: ";
		cin >> refscore;
		refscore = findLowest(refscore);

if(refscore >= 0 && refscore <= 100)
			{
				for(int count = 1; count <= 4; count++)
				{
					cout << "Please enter a test score: ";
					cin >> refscore;

int total = refscore;
						total++;

}

}

if(refscore < 0 || refscore > 100)
			{

cout << "Invalid Entry. Please enter a test score ";
				cout << "between 0 and 100. \n" << endl;
			}

refscore = findLowest(refscore);
		}

int findLowest(int refscore)
{

int lowest = -1;

if(lowest >= refscore)
			refscore = lowest;

return refscore;
}

void calcAverage(int refscore)
{
	int total = 0; //accumulator
	int average;

average = ((findLowest(refscore)) - total)/4;

cout << "The average score is: " << average << "\n" << endl;

}

Edited 5 Years Ago by Ezzaral: Fixed broken code tag.

I think you're missing some program code, and tell us exactly what problems you are experiencing, and also what you're trying to accomplish.

I think you're missing some program code, and tell us exactly what problems you are experiencing, and also what you're trying to accomplish.

Right sorry about that. Writing a modular function program that does not use arrays or global vars - calculates the average of five test scores after the lowest score is dropped.

I am not looking for the answer ~ just a shove in the right direction. It looks like findLowest is not recognizing all of the scores passed through it and olny recognizing the last comparison.

You can make a variable in findLowest static. Sorry for the delay, busy as usual.

Thanks. I'll try that next. Had a static var in there and someone said I should take it out. Right now it looks like I am missing a bit of code but also - things are not in the right order in each function.

I really hope I'm not the only beginning programmer to go through this...argh.

Still working it but marking this thread as solved. Thanks for the help you did give.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.