I am trying to come up with the algorithm for my n queens using Simulated Annealing. There is the general algorithm online, but when i look at it, I couldn't understand how it work. My nodes have the number of hits between the queens on chess board. How can I apply for the algorithm. What is the "temperature", "schedule"?

This is the general algorithm on page 9
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~nau/cmsc421/chapter04b.pdf

Please help me understand this. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Temperature is the probability that a move that doesn't improve the situation is taken anyway. This value starts high at the beginning, but lowers as time (or iterations) go on. Schedule is the method that returns the current temperature.

Temperature is the probability that a move that doesn't improve the situation is taken anyway. This value starts high at the beginning, but lowers as time (or iterations) go on. Schedule is the method that returns the current temperature.

So, how does the probability calculated?

Well, it the example you gave, it's 10 * 0.9^i, where i is the generation. It says this in the first sentence on the page you referenced.

Thanks, I'll do some more reasearch.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.