Protected void Update(object sender, GridViewCommandEventsArg e)
{
if(e.CommandName == "Change")
{
        int index = GridViewemp.EditIndex;
        GridViewRow grid = GridViewemp.Rows[index];

TextBox salary = (TextBox)GridViewemp.FindControl("TextBoxsalary");

sqlcon.Open();
         string query = "Update Employee set Salary="+salary.Text+"where EmpID     ="+GridViewemp.SelectedDataKey.Value.ToString();
         sqlcom = new SqlCommand(query, sqlcon);
         sqlcom.ExecuteNonQuery();
         sqlcon.Close();
}

}

I am getting the error Error: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Please help me to get the value from TextBoxsalary

Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by asha2009

I think there should be a miss match off datatype, if your Empid is a string type so it must be in single quote

string query = "Update Employee set Salary="+salary.Text+"where EmpID     ='"+GridViewemp.SelectedDataKey.Value.ToString()+"'";

I hope it will help you

Thanks for the reply prvnkmr194 but my EmpID is not a string. I forgot to mention that this grid is in a panel.

Could you tell us which line is throwing the exception so we don't have to validate that every object in your code exists?

line 8.. the error message is in the first post. textboxsalary does exist

Textbox is in the edit template of the gridview

<EditItemTemplate>
                     <asp:Label ID="Labelfname" runat="server" Text='<%#Eval("Fname") %>'></asp:Label>
                        &nbsp;
                        <asp:Label ID="Labelsurname" runat="server" Text='<%#Eval("Surname") %>'></asp:Label>
                        &nbsp; appointed&nbsp;
                        <asp:Label ID="Labelappoint" runat="server" 
                            Text='<%# Eval("Appointmentdate") %>'></asp:Label>
                        <br />
                        change salary&nbsp;
                        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBoxsalary" runat="server" Text='<%#Bind("Salary") %>'></asp:TextBox>
                        &nbsp;<asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButtonupdate" runat="server" CommandName="Update">Update</asp:LinkButton>
                        &nbsp;
                        <asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButtoncancel" runat="server" CommandName="Cancel">Cancel</asp:LinkButton>
                    </EditItemTemplate>
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.